Beard net to protect fruits from PC or OFM, your thoughts?

I used to use hair nets to protect fruit from pests but they were quite large and now I found some individual beard net cover that may protect each fruit better and not that heavy like a ziplock bag and breathable. I will do some trial to see how well they protect fruits from pests.

Tony

1 Like

Those should work if you can get a good tie-down on them, maybe use a twisty.

I used organza bags on my grapes last year and they worked very well, its a similar idea.

Scott,

Sounds good. I will use them on grapes also. I will put some on the Chinese Sweet Pit cot, Pluots and TangOs flat peach tonight.

Tony

Tony, I think they should work, but they might be too big for the individual fruits. I have an access to the free blue footies, used of cause. The material is kinda dense on them, they will probably stay wet longer after the rain. But I am willing to try them anyway.

1 Like

Just got home and tried it out on the Chinese Sweet Pit cot. Easy to put on and the stretchable string help to tide in a knott. Cool.

Tony

Aren’t those a little big for one fruit? I wonder if the sun will destroy that material quickly in that scorching NE heat :sunny:? I should try something like that. I plan on hitting everything this evening with permethrin…PC are going to be going nuts tonite in this heat.

Rob,
This material is the same as the hair net that I used the last couple of years. You can reuse them the next season because they don’t breakdown by the Sun somehow, maybe due to the white color and the tough mesh material.

Tony

So do you spray at all or just put them on and that is that? I’ll have to watch how yours do and remember to try next year. I really don’t see a ton of PC damage on cots in my yard…anything with fuzz seems to turn them off. The nectarines will be gone without protection.

Rob,

I sprayed one time with Spec. Once and done to let the fruits size up a bit. Once covered then it is good until harvest.

Tony

Tony,
You’ve got the prize for creativity :grin:

I bought a whole box of long bread bags but no peaches to put on. They will go on my plums again. It was with great success last year.

Will wait to hear a report of this method later.

I was searching this forum to see when to bag grapes – ours are just starting to bloom and I wanted to be prepared – we have old vines here that we pruned heavily – not sure whether they are Concord or not, one definitely wasn’t, but they are seeded grapes.

interesting, I see beard nets here in lab…Tony, do you work for Li-Cor?

as for them working, the ones here in Tucson at least feel gossamer-thin; I could tear them easily, but they’re nylon and “fibery” enough I think even if a bug tried to fight its way through it would just end up hopelessly tied up.

apparently they worked pretty well for you last year, I’d think the hair ones being larger they might also be excellent for things like grapes…

Bob,

I am not working at Li-Cor. I am in Anesthesia. Yeah, the hair nets and beard nets worked well so far.

Tony