Best Mail Order ? Best Search Engine?

Anyone able to get GOOD/ACCURATE search results not buried 30 pages into it ?

Trying to find mail order sources for Pomegranates and HOPEFULLY NOT paying for shipping from 3 different companies. Want reasonable cost not finding good search engine results

Who do you order from and get good value ?

2 Likes

Welcome to GrowingFruit! Youā€™ll find that there is no need to capitalize words for emphasis since those of us with vision problems wear corrective lenses.

So you are looking for Pomegranate shrubs? They are a bit out of season but hereā€™s a few links to reputable vendors:

Four Winds Growers

One Green World

6 Likes

duckduckgo.com is one search engine that doesnā€™t give you a bunch of advertising pop ups related to your search for days on endā€¦
and itā€™s results are good as the Bing or Google guys

some of the European or Asian search engines are best if you live thereā€¦

1 Like

Used that for a number of years but it has gotten a bit murky on the results, should not have to wade thru 30 pages of ā€œresultsā€ when searching for " Ceratonia siliqua
Fabaceae" trees for sale or whatever you are looking for, I would think that those selling products would want better / more accurate results. Searching for Ariana Pomegranate I mostly get Ariana Grande results and similar with other searches all but what I am looking for with a few actual results strewn thru . Highly annoying, finding only High priced nurseries able to / willing to ship to my state and finding more and more nurseries starting to ship to fewer and fewer states.

Have you simply tried putting double quotes around your search phrase?

https://www.google.com/search?q="Ariana+Pomegranate"&oq="Ariana+Pomegranate"

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to reply to the comment about nurseries shipping to fewer states.
If I should decide to operate a Kentucky nursery and try shipping to California?? You gotta be kiddingā€¦not worth the hassle that state puts little nurseries through. And other states are getting more and more regulatory.
Everybody can ship to Kentucky though.
(Note: If I can find
things I need closer to home, I
donā€™t order from those states that donā€™t have
OPEN DOORS IN BOTH DIRECTIONSā€¦!!!

4 Likes

Low price does not often bring good value.

3 Likes

And being an unwise consumer is unwise, good luck to you and your wallet.

Not nearly as effective as one would hope, does not work hardly at all anymore . also tried boolean terminology and it is thrown out anymore i.e. [ariana AND pomegranate] and still brings up a plithira of weird / paid for results.

1 Like

Perhaps you could explain what state youā€™re in and what price range and the shipping cost you are willing to pay. What cultivars do you want? That would help us help you. If youā€™re buying plants in 1 gallon pots shipping is going to be more expensive than buying bareroot trees like apples for example.

2 Likes

Here is ONE example of one of the things I am looking for.

Should be SIMPLE to find these at ONE nursery and have it shipped as is you can find one or two at one nursery at a time and pay multiple shipping charges. Highly annoying

ā€œPomegranateā€

Ariana
Chernaya Roza
Eve
Eversweet

Not finding them all at one nursery that can / will ship into california . quite disappointing

About 1/2 the time when / IF you find one that will ship into Calif. they are tiny pathetic plants hardly worth trying to grow and are 2x the price the should be. OR they do NOT have the varieties I am looking for.

You are new to the forum. Please be careful and thoughtful about how you express your frustration or interact with other members here. So far, one of your post was removed and another was flagged.

People here are trying to help you.

3 Likes

The forum has strict rules about avoiding politics. There was actually a forum section for politics at one time. But it caused problems and was eliminated. Please avoid even the hint of politics in your posts.

Again what prices do you want to pay in dollars for plants and shipping?

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry somebody got offended by the truth.

But, search engines have a different business model, so you canā€™t blame them for giving your search results you are unable to order from. (But, if their generic search hides certain vendors, you might could complain to somebody?)

Pomagranate is a specialized item, so not many options if you desire unuique varieties, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Urbanfarm.org or onegreenworld.com may have part of your wish list.
But, for poms, you very likely canā€™t find
what doesnā€™t exist (hundreds of pomegranates for sale from one vendorā€¦even in Europe).

1 Like

You live in California which is why it is so limited in selection. California has high restrictions because of their agriculture industry. The reason I have mentioned nurseries like One Green World, Trees Of Antiquity, Stark Bros, Raintree, Burnt Ridge and Bay Laurel in my posts is because those are the only nursery that will really ship every kind of plant to me and I have found those websites at least semi reliable. Many websites will not ship stone fruit to my state. I would also understand certain plants may be prohibited in certain states too. Juglan nut trees are prohibited from shipping into certain states as are ribes for example. I live in Colorado which is not known to be super agriculture focused mind you. I think I read 90% of nectarines come from California for example. Many states have their limitations either way. I found that some places I could not get certain plants but I also found that I was later glad I did not get those certain plants. I also found there is really no one size fits all online nursery. Every year I buy plants I always seem to get one plant here and one plant there and one plant everywhere. The reason for this is just that one nursery had one cultivar I want and another has another cultivar I want. A good example is Raintree had the weeping Santa Rosa, the ambassador walnut tree both 4 in 1 pluots I wanted and 4 in 1 Mirabelle trees. Meanwhile I got a self rooted Illinois overbearing tree and plenty of hazelnut cultivars from Burnt Ridge because their were one of the only sellers of the self rooted Illinois Overbearing and certain hazelnuts I could find like the beaked hazelnut and then I have a order in for a Cox Orange Pippin tree from Trees Of Antiquity because they have the M111 rootstock I wanted for my conditions. That is 3 different nursery and is not optimal but it is what it is because the websites sell different things.

I guess those unhappy about the status quo can start a nursery.

1 Like

What I am seeing and hearing is that OP has no idea how to use a search engine. Put in ā€˜Pomegranate Ariana -Grandeā€™ and you will get a load of valid links. Very few search engines still use boolean operators. For google search, use the advanced search link and put ā€˜pomegranate arianaā€™ in the must have words and ā€˜grandeā€™ in the must not have words. Also, learn to use an ad blocker. Firefox with Ublock will keep 99% of ads out of your screen. I canā€™t help with living in California. :smiley: Iā€™ve heard that having a California tag automatically allows you to park in handicapped spaces in Kentucky. :open_mouth:

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

3 Likes

:smirk:

KY

Not only that but if you look at One Green World they have at least 2 or 3 of the kinds of pomegranate OP wants and that was a suggested site on one of the first posts. I have used Brave, Safari, Microsoft Edge and Chrome. In the early days I had issues back when we were using things like the yahoo search engine but I have not had any issues with the search engines I mentioned. With the ones I mentioned you pretty much enter and go. I have had issues with finding nurseries advertising plants they sell but donā€™t ship like OP said but that canā€™t be helped much. The nurseries I mentioned above have most if not all on what grows in my area anyway. For more tropical areas OP may have to find more tropical nurseries which I am more unfamiliar with. Plants that grow well where I am may just require too many chill hours for California. Likewise the nurseries people in CA recommend may have things that are too warm weather for me. That is another issue with nurseries.

1 Like