• 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 8 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1 egg yolk

For the filling:

• 4 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
  • 2 Tbs. powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbs. flour
  • 2 Tbs. Meyer lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup regular Eureka lemons
  • pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick spray then line with parchment paper.

Make the crust. In the bowl of a food processor add the flour, sugar, and salt and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the dough comes together. Add in the yolk and pulse, adding a couple tablespoons of water if needed to bring the dough together.

Gently press the dough into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.

While the crust is baking, make the filling.

In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, sugar , flour, Meyer lemon zest, Meyer lemon juice, regular lemon juice, and pinch of salt.

Carefully pour the filling over the warm crust and bake for another 30-35 minutes minutes or until the filling is just barely set. Let the lemon bars cool at room temperature then cool overnight in the fridge.

Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Makes about 9 Meyer lemon bars.

6 Likes

I’m going try this recipe next week with gluten free flour.

1 Like

You won’t be sorry! Soooo good!

1 Like

what happens if you try to grow meyers lemon from seeds? Are they true to seed at all or would you end up with something horrible?

1 Like

Good question, someone here will have the answer.

From what I understand, most citrus are polyembryonic and more likely to produce nucellar seedlings when grown from seed, aka genetic characteristics identical to the mother plant. Even though Meyer lemon is a cross between between a lemon and a mandarin, it still exhibits polyembryony.

If you grow a seedling of Meyer lemon, you are likely to get another Meyer lemon tree. Of course, it will take longer to produce fruit and the young tree will exhibit thorns like any young citrus seedling.

As for us, folks in CA - growing citrus from seeds eliminates several but not all serious diseases. So, it is prohibited in CA to grow citrus from seeds but from what I hear they may be relaxing that restriction soon (if not already).

I have Eureka, Lisbon, and Meyer lemons. However the tag for these trees are gone, so I have to guess which is which.

Eureka will be variegated yellow and green, Meyer will turn a golden yellow, Lisbon will then be easy to identify.

1 Like

I don’t know what mine is then, it’s not variegated yellow and green. It’s more round than oblong shape.
Kind of look like this picture, but it’s not a lime, it turns yellow.

They do that too, its a Eureka

1 Like