Best nurseries to get Montmorency Cherry

I wanted to get more Montmorency cherries than I had but wanted to try another seller, anyone know a good nursery that is very reputable, and gives out healthy plants.

1 Like

Adam’s County Nursery.

2 Likes

They have Monty?

Raintree has them and they will go on presale in July. Just Raintree is more expensive. The standard black gold cherry I got from there had a massive size caliper and likely 50 gallons of roots though. Simply put it is a massive sized tree. I also trust One Green World and see they have it. Downside to them is some of their trees are tiny that are not Dave Wilson trees and then their Dave Wilson trees seem to be decent sized but all Dave Wilson trees are decent sized.

2 Likes

I checked one green world hey didn’t have it in stock, neither did rain tree, I guess this year they are sold out

Buying trees in the mid of summer, you may not have a lot of good selection.

Usually ordering in the fall for a delivery in the spring is customary.

1 Like

I think you are too late for many nurseries this year although some nurseries offer trees for Fall planting. You could also look at Grandpa’s Orchard, Cummin’s nursery and Schlabach’s in addition to the nurseries already mentioned. Really I think your best bet is to place an order for Spring delivery.

Schlabach’s is Amish so you will need to write a short letter asking for a catalog and send them a check for $2.00.

Schlabach’s Nursery
2784 Murdock RD
Medina, NY 14103

You may want to think about rootstocks of the Montmorency trees you are thinking about purchasing. You could get trees on mahleb, mazzard or Gisela 5. Each one has different advantages/disadvantages and produces a different size tree.

2 Likes

Raintree will open orders for Spring 2022 in about a week. One Green World opens presale in October or November. Like others said you will be hard pressed to find trees/plants for sale during summer. You may find some on Etsy and somewhere like Stark Bros May have them for fall shipping but I find it hard to justify Stark Bros pricing unless it is a item only for sale at Stark Bros. They send small trees and honestly speaking my trees from Stark Bros from last year are still not even close to as big as my orders from Raintree or One Green World this year. I think for now it is best to find what size or qualities you want in a tree and decide from there. Spring is not nearly as much time as you think from now. Then again fall and winter is the most busy time of year for my work so it goes by fast.

1 Like

I assumed you were looking to order for next fall or spring delivery. Many regular nurseries carry it- ones with a large selection of trees of the type professionals go to, and there may be one in your vicinity with a large tree in a ball or possibly a large pot. You wouldn’t want to plant a bare root tree now- you would get better results planting a similar sized tree in fall or early spring. Summer planted bare root trees stagger, in my experience. Bad enough when you plant them in late spring.

1 Like

Thanks for the list

1 Like

@alan @elivings1 @mamuang @mroot
I think I will order for the spring, I wanted to get a virus certified tree to be confident that my trees are healthy on arrival, is there any nursery’s you guys know that do test? The ones I contacted are booked until like 2024.

@Palmy_Oceans

Hit up @39thparallel he has some beautiful cherries! Last time I was there they were looking unstoppable. They may be early Richmond. He had them in nursery rows.

1 Like

I was on his site today I don’t think I saw cherries, may have missed, I’ll ask him if he has any.

1 Like

Yes he may not have them listed yet but they are good looking trees https://39thparallel.com/

1 Like

I am going to have to hope he has Monty, I don’t need many just 1 or 2 healthy ones

1 Like

They are fairly similar trees. There are lots of nurseries but I was there not long ago and I saw those when I was there. Evans Bali is like montmorency but more of a bush.

1 Like

I love the taste of Monty, is the taste noticeable aside from the trees being similar

1 Like

@IowaJer

Myself tart cherries all taste similar. I know you grow a bunch of Early Richmond. What are your thoughts? Carmine jewell is different from montmorency but early Richmond in a pie or montmorency I’m not sure I could tell. How is your cherry crop this year?

1 Like

For some reason I am not a big fan of balaton compared to Monty, when I tasted it the cherry seemed to have a more firm structure.

I also found turkeycreektrees, it saw Monty listed, is @TurkeyCreekTrees the owner of the nursery?

1 Like