Big Euro Plum cultivar for Portland, OR area: what do you recommend?

I probably don’t want to devote space to a bunch of big purple prune plums, so I’m pitting these 3 against each other and would like to hear if people have strong preferences or other information to tip the balance.

The contenders in alphabetical order:
Brooks
Seneca
Yakima

That’s also probably their order of prevalence.

Tie goes to Yakima if I can get the scion wood. I’ve killed on already though…

I think I’d be happy with any of them once they are in full production.

What they have in common is they are large, free stone, high sugar, firm and meaty European plums.

Is one more precocious, better growth habit, or more disease resistant? I think Seneca may be a little earlier ripening than the others.

3 Likes

Years ago
My Grandfather planted a row of
Italian Plum pits
About 8 remained

All were very similar
Freestone
Rich flavor
Good size.

I like Italian Prunes. They seem to be kind of shy bearing and ripen late.

I’ve seen Brooks bear well and have eaten good quality fruit grown locally. I like removing the one small pit and eating a big piece of great textured, and good flavored flesh.

I’ve eaten delicious Yakima that were huge, but not seen them on a tree. I had a tree that I grafted myself. It bloomed a couple years, but never brought fruit to ripeness. I may have been dealing with nutrient deficiency or another problem. The Jefferson next to it had the same problem.

I’ve eaten several Seneca that were also high quality, but the multigrafted tree from which they came wasn’t in the best of shape and haven’t seen ongoing production.

For jam and preserves
I like the Damson plum
Clingstone usually, and smaller than Italian Plum, but more tannin. Trees can be very very productive.

1 Like

I have other plums, and each have their merits.

For this discussion I’m looking for a very big European, sweet, meaty, free-stone plum that’s good for fresh eating and will produce for me.

I had a good crop of Brooks this year for the first time. Big and meaty. Late to ripen. If not perfectly ripe, the pit tends to cling a bit. Good for fresh eating, good for prunes.

Italian prune is better for baking, a bit juicier.

note: moved post
Italian prune makes outstanding sorbetto BTW, and very brightly colored, fruity, and not all prune like in the dried plum sense.

Murky,
Have you looked into Empress and Vision?

Empress ripened for me mid Sept and Vision was in mid Oct, ( a bit late for me). Both are large and tasted very good.

They sound good, but later than I’d like.

The 3 I mentioned I’ve eaten and know I like. Was hoping to get some insight about growing them.

My Seneca has yet bare so can’t comment on that one maybe next year it’s 4 years old. My Italian of 5 years had about 12 pounds up from just over one last year, brix 20-22. Had one kirkes blue exceptional flavor. Hopefully my others will start production in a couple of years and I’ll be buried :smiley:.

1 Like