Biggest Tomato Contest 2020

Hi! They are awesome, zero acidity and juicy. Usually this variety is not so juicy.

Bulls Heart is a “sweet” tomato with relatively soft texture for a heart shaped variety. Tomatoes are rated by flavor intensity, not by “acid” because all tomatoes have about the same level of organic acids. Bulls Heart is on the low end of the flavor intensity scale and is relatively sweet. However, if you are making sauce, you don’t want high flavor intensity. Bulls Heart is very good for making sauce because the cooking process intensifies the natural flavor and balances out the sweetness.

Here are a few tomatoes ranked by flavor and by sweetness for comparison.

Momotaro - F1 hybrid, very sweet with relatively mild flavor, very good for sweet tomato lovers
Sungold - F1 hybrid, intensely sweet with tropical fruit flavor, tomato candy
Hibor - Orange pear shaped tomato that is sweet as Sungold but without the Habrochaites flavor notes
Rutgers - A standard comparison variety, low sugar, intense rich old fashioned flavor
Smoky Mountain Red - the only “sour” tomato I’ve grown, has a distinctive dirty socks smell
Jaune Flammee - Tart, hints of rich tomato flavor, moderately sweet, very good orange tomato
Crnkovic Yugoslavian - Outstandingly good balanced tomato flavor combining sweet and rich flavors

There are tons of other varieties exemplifying flavor nuances. Note that flavor is a mix of sweet, sour, tart, and robust. Some tomatoes lean more in one direction or the other.

Thanks, Fusion_power! And the dirty sock description is pretty funny!

I grew some wonderful Rutgers when I lived in KY. But, I can’t grow a Rutgers here in VA to save my life! You are oh so right . . . that Rutgers has that ‘good old fashioned intense tomato flavor’.

1 Like

Ramapo is a hybrid, but it should produce for you and tastes very close to Rutgers. Seed are available if you care to look for them.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if cheating… this one seemed to have two points where it attached to the vine. 1.75 lb

7 Likes

Picked this Orange Kentucky beefsteak this morning. Our scale only goes to 1 lb, so I had to cut it in half.

One half was 13oz, the other was 13.5, so total weight was abt 27oz. Flavor was okay, a bit sweet, and tart, my wife liked it more than me, but I’m not a big a fan of tomatoes as she.

Here’s a Kelloggs Breakfast, not as big, maybe 20oz, but I think it tasted better than the OKB, milder acidity, but richer flavor.

First black Brandywine of the season, has a rich flavor, typical of darker tomatoes. This one comes in abt 11oz.

I’ve had a few Omar’s Lebanese, and while they’re not as big as advertised, they are very good. A bit seedy, but with robust tomato flavor, it has become one of my favorite red tom’s.

8 Likes

Im late to the show but my Mortgage Lifter weighed in at 2 pounds 11 ounces.

FB_IMG_1593647564227~2 my 2 pound 11 oz mortgage lifter

4 Likes

I dont have a weight, but I did get a couple nice ones. This pic is from our work breakroom, as you see. Ignore the goofy grin. BTW, I keep thinking I’m confusing new topics with old ones and posting on the wrong sites.

5 Likes

Thats a whopper! Nice mater :yum:

I talked to the panel of judged and they unanimously agreed to allow Quint’s late entry and announced that @Quint is officially the winner of the 2020 largest tomato contest. Congratulations, and feel free to brag to anyone who will listen about your tomato growing prowess.

1 Like

This one is not so big but it is the largest that I have grown.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recognition. I picked it while still mostly green since there were other large ones on that plant and i was concerned of breakage. Grew it in a seven gallon container.

3 Likes

Hot Tomato! You can take that any way you want to . . . YOU or the whopper in your hand! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Congratulations Quint. That is pretty amazing!

Thanks, Pom. I’ll grow one or two more Mortgage Lifters this year besides others. They seem to like the little homes i make for them. FB_IMG_1541554405679 It’s especially fun when you first slice into a big one.

4 Likes