Bird netting and new growth poking through?

I noticed the birds seemed to be sampling my unripe peaches so I threw some bird netting over them. The sampling has stopped, but they’ve now started to grow through the net.

Should I just not worry about it and remove the net once they drop their leaves, or am I going about this wrong? Perhaps I should be resetting the net every couple weeks to avoid new growth poking through?

My main concern is the leaves bunching up in the ~ 0.5 inch squares; seems like it’s ripe for excess moisture/humidity along those points.

My peach trees are new dwarfs with only ~20-30 peaches each so I’ve even considered throwing organza bags over all of them :rofl:. Seems like a heck of a lot of work still, and I’d imagine others have a smarter way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m thinking if you let the leaves grow through the neck, you will have a heck of a time trying to get the net off later on at the end of the season.

Some people use a larger frame to hold the net so it the tree doesn’t grow through the net.

Main thing is to protect the fruit. You can remove the netting after the fruit is picked. I have had this happen at times. Just be careful when you pull the netting off.