Bird netting for rabbits?

I have a 8 inch tall garden bed full of strawberries. Unfortunately, the plants seem to be rabbits favorite snacks. I put up some very cheap bird netting last year (similar to the quality of the link below) and rabbits managed to break right through it. If i were to buy a high quality one such as from American Nettings, would rabbits still attack it?
Thank you!

In my experience rabbits were able to chew through plastic. I tried two or three types of plastic fencing and they all failed I had to resort to buying a 2 1/2 or 3 foot tall metal fencing. I sourced it from Home Depot or Lowe’s, and I would say it was not very expensive come out they’ll probably a lot more than plastic.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback! I think I may just build a taller garden bed, i’ve been meaning to do so anyway so now i have an additional excuse.

They will chew through it. I had row covers up on my garlic, forgetting that is where she likes to put her nest. She quickly chewed a entrance and several exit holes (but the babies were very cute). Are you sure that rabbits are doing the damage? I’ve never had them nibble on strawberries. Voles, on the other hand, were a real pain in the strawberry bed. Chewed them right up. I ended up bagging the berries with the little net gift bags as they started to turn ripe. It was a bit labor intensive, but worked.

Thank you! Yes im sure its rabbits. I see them around the bed all the time and as soon as I put several layers of thick bug netting, the plants stopped disappearing.

1 Like

I have had the same problem with rabbits chewing through my bird netting on my strawberries.
@kakasamo Rabbit fencing from Lowes is a possible solution. But, would it prevent birds from getting at the strawberries?

1 Like