Black Mulberry shrub

I heard reports from high humidity areas in California where nigra does poorly. It seems to like low humidity. Might be an issue here. I still want to play with it and I can give it full sun too.That may help?

By high humidity in CA you’re referring to marine influenced areas with something like 78% rel. humidity at 62°F in Spring and Fall?

Yes, and other areas like down south. In the south the more tender alba’s are preferred like Pakistan, and Shangri La. The humidity is too much for nigras apparently.

Hmm …
My property has the cool, humid Spring mentioned above but then a warm dry Summer and Fall. No problems are expected here. I believe the failures farther up the coast are from lack of heat alone and the failures in the southern US are from the heat+humidity combination.

1 Like

Yes. A resounding yes. IEB does very well here though. And Red Mulberry trees do well.

Yeah the south is hot and humid. I’m mild with moderate humidity so maybe we will do OK?
Moderate compared to the south. I have been south and west and I’ll take 110F in California every time over 90F in Florida in the summer. Night can be even worse no breeze and the humidity needs a knife to cut.

2 Likes

Today I shortened the stalk to 3 feet and removed an errant side branch.

2 Likes

I also purchased one of the shrubs at Walter Anderson and with all the recent questions on this site just checked the Dave Wilson page, they list the dwarf as Morus species “dwarf everbearing”
https://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/mulberries
Hopefully your testing will give additional information about what that actually means!

1 Like

And then from the forum,
http://www.davewilsonforums.com/index.php/showthread.php?t=12278
So not nigra but hopefully tasty

1 Like

Mine had a “Morus nigra” tag. Was there a cultivar name on yours?

There was a label that said morus nigra and then the tag says dwarf

I dont know how people are getting such good shots of buds, must be much better photographers

1 Like

This what I’m talking about. There are nurseries, big and small, that are selling the dwarf everbearing as a Morus nigra when it’s not just because the fruit is black. It took me years to sort things out. There are also reputable nurseries that are selling the right plants. You need to do your research, and part of it is learning what the plant should look like.

3 Likes

I’m going to test the species of Tom’s Mulberries. It appears to be straightforward.

though i can’t see the buds— the stem color, for their thickness, are a little too pale to be nigra. Nigra stems tend to be reddish and velvety as young stems.

if dave wilson’s has a one yr warranty, probably just return or exchange for a real nigra.

1 Like

Dave Wilson is a wholesale grower that supplies the nursery where the plant was purchased.

I’m going to obtain the species of this plant by genetic testing and if it is not M. nigra then we’ll have something to discuss with the nursery!

Will we want to return it? Well, what if it’s this plant:

Labeled Claimed species Source
Black Mulberry Morus macroura DMOR 9
2 Likes

I am sorry to tell you @Richard but i really think your shrub its not a nigra.
On the other hand the other one you had and gave away last year or the year before was a nigra for sure

1 Like

the stems are too spindly and straight(relative to main trunk) to be that of nigra. Its stem structure is quite similar to the everbearing mulberry that another nursery sells. And from what i can see, does not appear to be macroura either, but none of that matters-- if @Lids finds the berries to be good quality, there’s no need to send the child back to the orphanage…

1 Like

I have respect for the observations of members here. My quest now is to identify the species. I will share the results with Ken Andersen and Tom Spellman.

3 Likes

looking foward to it @Richard, and quite certain everyone in the mulberry threads are waiting for the ‘maury show’ test results!

1 Like

I’m not sure if it will fruit in a pot but I will try, if it tastes good then maybe I’ll try an espalier and save my “last” planting spot for a real nigra, assuming I can actually find one!

1 Like