Blacksmith to Recreate my Shovel

Need some help. I have a shovel that fits me right and I’ve been using close to 20-years. It’s found a crack that’s only going to get worse. I’m willing to spend a few bucks but not my whole allowance.

Dax

2 Likes

Check out Red Pig Tools out of Oregon:

https://www.redpigtools.com/

I’ve never gotten any of their custom work, but I have two different hand hoes from them. They are by far my best garden tools.

7 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Dax, a good welder might be able to run a bead to fill the crack and grind it down nicely.

6 Likes

My neighbor offers welding for free to me. He’s good.

Thanks guys, a lot. I was bummed to see that crack, naturally.

Dax

@jcguarneri that’s what I was looking for for certain. Thank you.

3 Likes

That’s a good neighbor to have!

3 Likes

Yes! Chainsaw sharpener, wood splitter anytime, welder, carpenter, mechanic, snow plow guy!

4 Likes

He’ll be able to tell you whether it’s a good idea.

3 Likes

I’ve been texting with Red Pig Farm. I’m gonna have him build me a shovel.

He’s examined it via text. It was 50% long term fixable to weld and then shipping cost and then vs. a new shovel there’s not much cost difference.

Dax

5 Likes

Nice! I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

2 Likes

I’m stoked bro. Thanks!

2 Likes

Glad I could assist you in spending money!

1 Like

No trouble there.

Dax

1 Like

Got my shovel yesterday. It’s boss!

It fits me. All spade shovels are about a foot too long for my 5’ 7" frame. It’s like me trying to find jeans in a 26". They don’t exist.

Anyway, this guy makes shovels that I never felt slice into soil like it does. It’s really remarkable. @jcguarneri, hey, thanks a lot.

17 Likes

Nice! I was starting to wonder about that. Glad it worked out well. How much did he charge, if you don’t mind me asking?

What are these very long pots used for? Quite an interesting idea.

Cheers

Looks awesome. I love custom made tools.

1 Like

@jcguarneri 155$

@Lex I’m using them for Hardwood Trees. Apparently they were designed for fleshy root & desert plants to be grown in. Two sides of each container have zipper like slats running the entire length up and down and fleshy roots need extra care removing from the pots. So you cut the pot open to remove them. It’s an option for what I’m using them for, too. I’m growing hickory, hican, pecan, persimmon, pawpaw, and pear currently.

3 Likes

Looks like clam gun. How close do you live to the pacific?

The invoice stated a grafter’s shovel. I’m 1000 miles from NW, IL. to Portland, OR. I used to play billiards once-weekly in Lake Oswego, where that blacksmith lives.