Blood Peaches for the Mid Atlantic

Hello all!

I’m looking for some basic advice on blood peach varieties for the Mid Atlantic and sources to purchase them.

Any recommendations? Sorry if this is a repeat topic.

I hope to process the fruit.

Jerry

1 Like

Arctic Glo nectarine; a fuzzless peach . Excellent flavor and sweetness when soft ripe. Bay Laurel or Peaceful Valley nursery.

1 Like

For processing try Indian Cling. It is bulletproof. There should be several places selling it. Edible Landscaping and Trees of Antiquity for example.

2 Likes

What is considered mid Atlantic? I know in the Midwest in CO people have said I have too short of a season. I think places like California will not have enough chill hours for many. People talk about Indian free for fresh eating though. Indian Cling for canning. Two vary different peaches even though they sound similar. Lots of places sell them. Bay Laurel has it but I think it is 33 dollars shipping, Grow Organic has it but it is 30 dollars shipping, Raintree has it for 15 dollars shipping but charge you a arm and a leg for it.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t notice you are interested in processing. My recommendation was for fresh eating. I know nothing about processing peaches, not my thing.

All good information! Much appreciated.

I’m in Maryland and Virginia, this is the area I consider mid Atlantic. Some references say Thomas Jefferson grew Indian Cling peach. My climate is very similar so I should be able to grow it as well.

1 Like

I have found a few references to George Washington in terms of fruit. I have read that about Indian Cling as well. There is also references to Paw Paw and George Washington. If you start to look at Paw Paw requirements you start to realize that the requirements are favorable in the east for that kind of stuff for sure. My uncle typically has a one month longer season at the start and a one month longer season at the end of the season equaling two extra months to the season even in Missouri. Your issues will be not with the season but with the rain. Don’t know how much you know about peaches but rain is a huge downside because of peach leaf curl. Peach lead curl happens after about 10 inches of rain which is not unheard of in your side of the country. Also I am not sure the chill hours on the tree.

In NYS we average close to 50" of rain a year and PLC is the least of my worries in growing peaches. It only occasionally crops up at a scattering of sites- worst I’ve seen is on a tree a couple hundred feet from the ocean in Greenwich CT. A single properly timed spray is all that is needed at those few sites its been a problem.

1 Like

I appreciate all the advice. I’ve tried and failed to grow peaches in my area twice. I have no unrealistic expectations.

Plum curculio is the biggest issue. Followed by brown rot.

Having said this, what’s prettier than a peach tree in bloom and fresh fruit???

I should know better, but knowing there is a commercial orchard in my county I know it can be done…with lots of inputs…

1 Like

You are one zone warmer than I am and in the humid region that can about double pest pressure. Growing seasons seem to be getting warmer (at least nights) and longer, which may be accelerating overall pest pressure up here.

I was in N.Carolina the day before yesterday, doing a consultation about establishing an apple orchard in some hills near Greensboro. I’m not sure the client got their money’s worth, but if spraying can alleviate any problems he will be able to afford any effort required, given what he paid me to fly down there.

Short flight, but completely different weather. Apparently they’ve had almost no rain since Sept. and we have had some about every week or more all fall. Long season up here also- I even still have firm apples on my trees. Zones are moving up and pests too.

Yes, it is incredibly dry for this time of year. Probably driest fall in about 10 years.

Pest pressure is incredible! Spotted lantern flies will be the next problem.

So I took the plunge and bought an Indian Cling peach. We will see. Definitely understand the difficulty in growing peaches in humid Zone 7.

Thanks for all the advice and warnings.

2 Likes

These don’t seem to be interested in my peach tree. They love infesting my figs and cane berries though.

Good to know! Thank you.

Good luck with your peach. Indian Cling is the most bug and disease resistant of the 50 or so peach varieties I grew so you have the best variety to try.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice earlier on in this thread. Sorry to hear of the weather up your way. I’m sure it’s frustrating. I’ll keep everyone updated on the progress over the next few years.

I’ve had some minor success at crossing apples and tomatoes. Scott, I may want your advice in the future with crossing blood peaches. Looking for a retirement project as I am halfway through my career. Trialing Peach seedlings may keep me out of trouble when I retire.

I ordered this one… not sure if they still carry it

https://www.monticello.org/house-gardens/in-bloom-at-monticello/indian-blood-cling-peach/