Breeding Nectarines with Apricots

I’m pretty certain that my Flavorella got pollinated by Desert Delight nectarine.

3 Likes

Honeybees collect pollen of a certain profile together to bring home and sort and in general if you can watch one particular honeybee go from one tree to another its a very good chance they are pollen compatible.

2 Likes

The fruit were tiny, they eventually fell off the tree (nectarine pollen x Indian Free peach). The Candy Heart seed that I grew a couple years ago produced some nice fruit this season. They have citrus flavoring added to it, to be called “Citrus Punch”, wood from it should be available next season, Can wood be shared from a seed grown from a patented variety?

6 Likes

Yes,because the variety is different from the original.bb

2 Likes

Those look smooth skinned

Ooops! I forgot to mention that I hand pollinated it with Desert Delight Nectarine.

2 Likes

Nice! I really look forward to seeing your new varieties and think its excellent you are striving for more diverse and unique fruit. Rich that one sounds good do you have an idea what the pollination partner may be or too many variables?

3 Likes

Flower buds are starting to develop.

3 Likes

did it set fruit this year? Thanks.

1 Like

Never tasted one.

I don’t think I’m capable of following the flight of an individual honey bee.

2 Likes

the term beeline was made because bees are famous (once they are full not still scouting) for flying up as high as they need to and then doing a straight shot home!

If you are trying to watch what they are doing you need to stand behind the sun usually then you can focus in on the fat black dot, you will be able to tell if one is scouting for food or actively hitting bud sites on a mission by the way they fly.

Its quite relaxing and enjoyable to do actually

2 Likes

They did, but the fruit fell off.

1 Like

“Wait til next year!”

1 Like

This is what a true peach x apricot hybrid looks like. The seed parent is the peach and the pollen parent is an apricot. The picture is from a friend from overseas.

received_257373898993023

And this is my Calired interspecific peach. The seed parent is luna peachmond (peach x almond) and I thought the pollen parent was Sweet Bagel peach, but after noticing the leaf shapes similarities, I’m thinking the pollen parent could possibly be an apricot?

3 Likes

Do you notice with crosses in general a tendency for the seed parent or the pollen parent to be dominant?

1 Like

Very nice plant. :+1:
Obviously I don’t know much, but I am just curious about why you want “almond” as part of the parentage. I can see how peach and apricot etc. can form a new kind of fruit, but what does almond contribute to the plant and/or fruit?

1 Like

The pollen parent is dominant.

2 Likes

I created the peach x almond hybrid for two reasons. To backcross it with an almond so I could obtain self-pollinating almonds and to create drought tolerant peach x almond hybrid rootstock.

2 Likes