Brown Turkey Fig

March 12
A week after transplanting this fig to the other side of the greenhouse it started to grow.

4 Likes

That’s some nice progress.

And here we are a week later.

4 Likes

I thought I was the only one who tried to grow this in a pot. (Indoors, no less.)

Figs, especially ‘Brown Turkey’ figs were practically automatic in Phoenix. Considered sort of dĂ©classĂ© actually.

I could kick myself for not growing one when I had my chance.

1 Like

This brown turkey originally lived in a 5 gallon pot. Last year I upsized it to this 25 gallon wood barrel. I use a hand truck to wheel it in and out of the garage as needed. Unfortunately, I did not realize the additional water requirements of fruit trees when planted in pots until later in the season. This year, the watering schedule will be modified and I expect big things. How did your experience rate with growing this type indoors?

It’s not really suited for it, as you would expect.

The leaves are healthy but kind of thinly spaced. My living room is fairly bright so at least it survives. It bears fruit. Maybe every third fruit is palatable. A shadow of a yard grown Phoenix fig.

I have it in a pretty big pot, but the roots are just a knot. It’s practically hydroponic after crushing my 80% compost mix.

This statement is proving to be quite true. This year, I started out putting tree outside daily for a couple of hours to get some sun. The breba figs that appeared, while the tree was still in the garage, have shriveled up and not increased in size in several weeks. I’m thinking I should leave these pots in the garage longer, until temps get significantly higher in the future. Just above freezing is not working out for these two.

I see, is there a reason why you don’t keep it indoors in the winter and then bring it outdoors when the weather heats up?

1 Like

You have spring bulbs blooming
 it’s still not warm enough for ya? Is it not in the 50’s-60’s F

The leaves got scorched or something after it had leafed out indoors. I decided to just leave it inside this year.

It’s been warmer now, however the original statement Hoosier made I feel is correct. While those new figs sprouted while still in the garage, the exposure to the temperatures at just above freezing have pretty much halted their growth. Notice in the pics they are so tiny. Yesterday got up to the 60’s however our overnights are dropping down to just above freezing. The weather app says the wind chill brings the temp down significantly. My main goal for this season became keeping them warm so they can experience more new growth until the weather warms up.

1 Like

Little update from last night, April 5

3 Likes

What is this??? This is slowly spreading throughout the whole tree.

Did you fertilize recently? Could it be overfertilization?

I didn’t fertilize this year. This problem appeared, so a few days later I added a root amendment, which is a really mild fertilizer. Then the problem got worse.

What about freezing?

Looks like frost damage, when did you notice it starting and when did you first put the figs outside?

1 Like

I noticed it about a week ago. I began putting them outside during daylight hours in late February/early March. I started leaving them outside overnight shortly thereafter. After starting the overnights, the temperature never got below 30. I do not have any definitive intel on how much the wind chill played in this.

Is there any way to help the tree out of this situation?

People have a tendency to overwater and overfertilize to try to make up the difference–it’ll be set back but it’ll recover.