Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

man… youre gonna turn into a okra! what do they taste like? never had one.

1 Like

WHAT DOES FRIED OKRA TASTE LIKE? Okra has sweet, grassy notes and is mild in taste . Flavor-wise, it lies somewhere between a green bean and an eggplant, but just like most other foods, as soon as you fry it, its natural flavor will be somewhat subdued and equally matched by a crunchy, seasoned batter.

@steveb4 … i have a hard time describing the taste of okra… but found that above online and that is a good description.

We pan fry ours (keto style)… using avacado oil + bacon fat… we do a egg wash and season/coat it with super fine almond flour, pork panko, salt pepper onion powder garlic powder paprika.

Oh man… it is good stuff.

I froze 3 more pints today too…

2 Likes

anything fried in bacon fat is awesome. all my meat/ veggies gets fried in it. did some brussels sprouts the other day with fresh garlic. man it was awesome.

1 Like

I bought an air fryer recently to see if I can fry things with much less oil. We will see. This is my first splurge for a while, I really don’t like to buy anything, I’m afraid I won’t use it.

@SoCalGardenNut … ideal keto macros…

60-70 % Fat
25-35 % Protien
05 % Carbs

I dont have a air fryer… i have to add fat to get to my ideal macros… a couple tableapoons of grass fed butter on top of a grilled rib eye steak for example.

A well marbled rib eye steak is near ideal keto food… (proper human diet).

Add some okra, greens, strawberries raspberries blueberries to get your 5% carbs.

Yes today a lot of folks are still trying to limit their intake of fat… but the reality of it is that for most humans… they should be limiting carbs and increasing by much the amount of healthy animal fats they eat.

Keto works great for me… optimum health… ideal body weight.

3 Likes

Thanks @TNHunter, I’m finally at an ideal weight, within my BMI. It’s not the fat that I’m worrying about, I don’t want to pay money for oil. I’m cheap, lol.

Be sure you collect and use the awesome free fats that are so delicious and good for you.

We cook bacon most mornings… and always save the bacon fat… oven roast a nice fatty piece of beef (prime rib, brisket or a nice fatty chuck roast) filter and collect the tallow.

We keep ours in the fridge in wide mouth pint jars and use them all the time.

We supplement with butter, ghee, avacado and olive oils but adding a little bacon fat or tallow to any of those really ups the flavor.

I am not a duck hunter… but hear that duck fat is very good as well.

2 Likes

I don’t collect them, but I tend to fry onions after I fry bacon. But I did once roast a goose, I did collect a lot of fat and used them afterwards.I love duck, but I haven’t eating any on this trip. But when I go to France next year, I will have some.

1 Like

The Optimal tomatoes are really hitting their stride in the greenhouse, mostly 200g or more and sweet and tasty. Here are the latest two, hanging out with some Aravaipa avocados grown by @Marta (thanks again!).

It’s the Marta collection :joy:

10 Likes

Okra finally slowing down… cool weather.

My fall carrots and lettuce is doing well… needs some rain. Pretty rows…

6 Likes

Marigold petals are good in a salad, too, you know?

@BlueBerry … did not know that… will have to try that.

Tonight for dinner we tried something new (to us). Bacon cheese burger casserole… and we had lettuce tomato pickle salads… and of course to keep it keto … keto fried okra.

It was all very good.
I can do without french fries… if i have okra.

4 Likes

wish i had a veg. that i liked like you like okra. love pickled beets but lots of sodium and not good for my gout.

2 Likes

can you do fried green tomatoes?

1 Like

@steveb4… before keto… sweet corn and tomatoes were my fav garden things…

Don’t do corn anymore and limit tomato (carbs)…

Okra is definitely my new favorite… and I am amazed at how often we can eat it without getting tired of it.

I am not sure it would grow up there where you are… it requires heat. Come down south sometime and (July thru Sept) and I would be glad to fix you a big skillet full. I bet you would like it. My entire family does… Myself, my wife, my 25 yo daughter, her hubby, and our 20 yo son… we all absolutely love it.

I don’t know for sure how many pints I have put up so far… 30+ I would guess. I did not put up any last year and seriously missed it over the winter. Not going to have to suffer so much this winter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Time to sign up for a cholesterol test.

1 Like

@Richard … I used to take meds for cholesterol, triglicirides, blood pressure…

That was back when i ate SAD… standard american diet (including lots of carbs).

Ate nothing but fatty meat for 31 days… and had to stop taking the meds… no longer needed them.

I still eat a very fatty meat heavy diet… mostly fat and protein… and some low carb veggies like okra… yes even fried in healthy fats…

I get my blood test yearly… last time total cholesterol was 198.

Some people still think that fat is bad for you… many Doctors still repeat that lie… and some folks know better :wink:

4 Likes

My doc wants an LDL under 100 since I have early diabetes. That’s a pretty tough number to hit. I agree that keto recommendations can sound like the opposite of what we have heard most of our lives. The proof is in the pudding though. I lost 30 pounds on the keto diet and felt great. I did experience some other issues though when I was going into ketosis. It convinced me to back off for a while.

1 Like

This week I’m going to have a lot of polyunsaturated fat, sugar free, and a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, lobstah.

The truth about fat and carbs… and cholesterol.

Dont trust anyone that is just running their mouth… repeating the same old lies… and yes Doctors do that on a regular basis.

Ken knows the truth… the same way i do… he was very unhealthy… ate different… and got perfectly healthy.

I am 61… weigh 155 lbs… 5’11" tall… ideal BMI… normal cholesterol and triglicirides, ideal blood pressure, no more arthritus, no more gut issues…

Eating mostly fat… (healthy fats) lots of protein… and a very small amount of carbs. Keto.

I would do carnivore again if i needed healing. I actually do eat two carnivore (no carb) meals a day. Breakfast and lunch (no carbs)… and then i have a few carbs for dinner… maintaining ketosis.

3 Likes