Bulk herbal supplements / making capsules

Many of us grow our own cooking herbs to save money. Some of us grow the herbs we use medicinally e.g… Mullein. There are always going to be some crop failures and ofcourse some herbs we can’t grow locally. In those cases remember The thread where I discussed getting herbs Bulk Fruit, Spices, sweetness & Nuts - #21 by clarkinks eg sausage maker, amazon etc…The two herbs I don’t grow locally that I buy in bulk by the pound and use are moringa and acai. This week I wanted to share how I save a lot of money using those pounds of herbs. So typically I buy 0 capsules off Amazon and put together my own capsules instead of buying them. Savings in some cases is $50 for 10 minutes of easy work. I will update this thread later this year when aronia, Echinacea, Mullen etc are closer to harvest. Let’s say a bottle of good moringa capsules is $40 and there are 50 capsules but a pound of moringa is $11 and the empty capsules are $7 per thousand I’m not sure how you couldn’t come out ahead by buying in bulk. You will need a pill block like the one shown to load the capsules. 0 is larger so 00 is smaller as an example and so on. What herbs are you growing? Anyone else saving money buying bulk like this?

![20190203_103109|690x920]
(upload://fSIDkXqIEhe3HbWlOU1SltO7wPo.jpeg)

5 Likes

I haven’t done this at all. I am very interested though and would be very appreciative to follow your thread and gain all the knowledge I can about this! TY…

1 Like

I hate to always be the wet blanket. But why do you need the capsule? I don’t eat anything in a capsule. Just sprinkle a little on whatever you’re eating like oatmeal or almost anything. Or if you like the taste a little spoonful would suit me more. Shoot it might be so good I’d grab a big spoon.

Who knows what’s in that capsule. It looks like eating plastic to me.

5 Likes

@fruitnut
I agree with you but I’m on the go a lot during the week and grab them on my way out the door to stay healthy because I can’t always eat right. Those capsules are just gelatin.

1 Like

You are a busy guy…!!

1 Like

@fruitnut,

I used your trick with spirulina lately and mixed it with yogurt. Much easier than making capsules! By the way my mom thought some of my acai powder was rasberry powder and commented it was incredible when she mixed it with her food! I suspect she made milkshakes.

2 Likes

One year I dried a ton of kale, lettuce, purslane, chickweed, etc I had grown. It was extra, wasn’t getting eaten, and I didn’t want it to go to waste, so I thought I would make my own ‘green’ supplement. After I dried it, I ground it up and stored it in a Mason jar.
The first time I used it, I added a couple of scoopfuls to a smoothie…
I had to throw out the smoothie!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It was so awful. Very, very, bad.
I discovered that while I like these plants fresh, dried and ground is not for me. This would be a good use of the gelatin capsules Clark!!

2 Likes

Been filling my own pills for years… far cheaper to buy bulk (zinc/mg/etc etc) and fill capsules. I’ve never made my own herbal supplements but want to try sometime.

Some of the stuff i take is so bitter (ascorbic acid/ginger) that not taking it in a capsule is rough…

3 Likes

I agree. The green stuff is the worst for me. A friend of mine keeps telling me to just mix it with water and chug, or stir into yogurt. I just can’t do it. I gag every time! I need to buy some of those gelatin capsules. Would be useful for lots of bulk supplements like you and @clarkinks suggest.

1 Like