CA nectarines on drugs

These are Honey Diva grown outside. Little to no rain thru late June then rain at least 2-3 times a week. They are still very sweet and tasty. They have that high brix look but man these are really ugly.

12 Likes

Wow! A little different from mine :slight_smile: Hey who cares, good stuff!

1 Like

I ate one of these for lunch. They are still hard and not ripe. Only picked because of the ugliness going on. It was 20.5 brix and very tasty on the riper parts.

2 Likes

Is that scab?

1 Like

They probably ripened unevenly because of the damage, let them sit out and counter ripen them.
I harvested my PF Lucky 13 and the brix was only 12, so much for the dry weather. It was raining this morning but no way could that have lowered them much. They taste fine though, I guess we are just conditioned to this fruit. I was thinking of eliminating this tree, but these are not bad, I’m going to keep it. Better this year. I think i picked them late last time.

1 Like

No it’s some kind of black rot.[quote=“Drew51, post:5, topic:12262”]
let them sit out and counter ripen them
[/quote]

I will as much as I can without losing the fruit.

Yeah I’m prepping and freezing some right now with damage. Yes more ripening may not work with the damage, just spoiling, still cool to see those, thanks for the photo.

1 Like

Only a fruit lover would find those tempting…!! My buddy scarfed up his share. He’ll probably eat them all at one setting.

2 Likes

Ive grown uglier nectarines, thrips just mutilate ours here. Still delicious.

2 Likes

I’m liking this year a lot as it’s been dry and gives me an idea of what the best conditions produce or don’t produce in this location. So it’s a year I best write everything down and remind myself why I’m growing these trees. The stone fruit been so good, I feel like adding more. Probably will.

1 Like

Drew are your brix better than out east? Alan has said even his nectarines are below 12 as much as above. That’s with lots of rain.

We’ve been in a dry island all summer and my Stanley plums are so far showing no signs of rot. If squirrels allow, I may be able to let them get actually ripe on the tree

1 Like

Yes, we had a lot less rain. My grapes are at 20 brix (may not be fully ripe either, first year, figuring it out), and Arctic Glo was 18. Pluots, plums, and the nectaplum are not ripe yet. [quote=“ltilton, post:12, topic:12262”]
We’ve been in a dry island all summer
[/quote]

Yes across Lake Michigan from me in Chicago. So the Midwest has been dry. Brix is good for here.The fruit has been coming out spectacular if you ask me.

Edit

I was just cutting the grass and knocked a nectaplum off. It’s about ripe, maybe another week, brix was 17.5 or so. Very good! Much better than last year. Huge fruit this year too.

1 Like