Calville Blanc d'Hiver apple question

Here is my holiday calville Blancs from my local grocer

10 Likes

I ordered new Calville Blance scion wood a year ago from a different source and grafted it on this past February. The grafted scion actually grew 3 foot-long shoots and produced two small apples that I verified were definitely Calville Blanc before I picked them off to conserve the tree’s energy. It is definitely more vigorous than some of the varieties I have grafted to this tree!

5 Likes

CA-Poppy… Happy to hear that! I am trying to decide what rootstock to start it on. Happy to hear it was vigorous for you. Take care… Happy Thanksgiving! Mary

1 Like

Richard - Those are beauties! I can see that they might be a little tough to get peeled on an apple peeler! Pretty lumpy! :smiley:

Our tree outgrew the rootstock in diameter to a degree that was a bit disturbing. It is vigerous and i habe heard it has a tendency to lean as well. The apples are everything they claim though. A wonderful rich flavor.

3 Likes

That is so interesting! I bought a three year old tree for my small orchard in RI. After 5 years in the ground I finally got 3 apples. All dropped. Sold the house. Just bought another 3 year old tree this past June, Calville Blanc, and I had 7 delicious apples. Where one lives makes all the difference! Grafts seem to produce more quickly.

Is the rootstock an M-7? They tend to lean.

1 Like

Antonovka I think. Bought from burnt ridge.

There is also a Calville Rouge/ Red.

1 Like

REALLY? I did not know they would lean. I just planted an apple tree with that rootstock on it. I bought it for the longevity for the tree variety. I may have made a huge mistake.

You can always stake it up. Put a couple strong posts in the ground. Run a a couple ropes or cables through pieces of garden hose and run them around the trunk of the tree from two or three directions, attaching to the posts. The hose is to protect the bark from the rope. I had some trees totally blow over in our sandy soil, but was able to stand them up again. We roped them as described, and ten years later they are still fine.

2 Likes

It seems stable enough. It just leans east.
Ours is not staked or supported.

3 Likes

Mine leaned to the west.

2 Likes

This one was grown by @mamuang and eaten by @SMC_zone6. It definitely had that “fizzy” quality some apples have. It was also interesting how much more pronounced the sweetness of the sunny side was than the rest of the apple.

6 Likes

We both are the fans of this variety now. I love to have enough of them to cook with it, too.

Your pic was so clear. A high quality camera you have there.

2 Likes

I have to grow my own here, the markets do not carry Calville Blanc, they prefer to carry, Gala and standard French varieties. I will have enough for my tarte tatin next summer if Luis sends me scion wood from his Api Etoile! :blush:

2 Likes

Of course i will…

1 Like