Camera to see what's going on outside at night?

My veggie garden is under attacked. Every night there’s some kind of destruction. Rodent traps have yielded nothing so far. Last night I lost my last butternut squash and another pole bean vine. I’m tired of building cages that don’t end up working. I’d like to see what’s going on. Anyone know what kind of camera gear would work to see what animals are behind this destruction? Of course I want to spend as little $$ as possible. Maybe even rent the equipment? Thanks.

Groundhogs are very hard to trap and even harder to get rid of. They seem to go for the freshest vegetables and fruits.

1 Like

You can get a cheap trail cam on amazon for 35 bucks and up.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trail+camera&i=sporting&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

3 Likes

I have driveway sensors in each section of my orchard. They send off an alarm inside my bedroom when the squirrels, raccoons or possums are around my fruit trees. Unfortunately it goes off a lot I’ll be outside at 2:00 in the morning with a flashlight chasing off the raccoons. I’m going to have to do something next year I’ve been thinking about an electric fence.

1 Like

Yup. And if you don’t set up to wake you up you have to spend time reviewing the tapes!

1 Like

Trail cam does the trick for me. Maybe it’ll be more than 35 bucks? A good one with IR will be about 100 bucks but well worth it

Really important if you want a good night pic to have good long distance IR. I’ve learned from experience. Promise

5 Likes

Spend your money on good fencing and netting.

1 Like

Looks pretty close to the one I got 5 years ago (see old post) for $77 from Amazon:

My dad uses one and it seems to work pretty well for him, even in an area with lots of wildlife.

Camera’s are a good idea- you can see why traps don’t work. And once you fix the trap, you can get great video’s like this…

3 Likes