Can fruit trees grow in an old blueberry patch that has acid soil?

The soil was treated with sulphur about 12 years ago to make it right for blueberry bushes. I have not tested the soil, some of the acid may have dissipated over time…dunno. If not, can fruit trees grow in an old blueberry patch that has acid soil?

1 Like

Can be easily neutralized/raised ph with lime. Soil test is a must first though.

4 Likes

My acidity always goes back to neutral over time

3 Likes

I’m far from an expert, but 12 years seems long enough for the soil to lose its excess acidity

2 Likes

I would think the soil needed more sulfur added for the blueberries like nine to ten years ago.

2 Likes

A lot depends on what the soil was like before adding the sulfur. If it naturally has free bicarbonates, then the sulfur effects are long gone. If it was carbonate free and in the 6 to 6.5 pH range, the pH might still be somewhat low.

Only a soil test will tell for sure. But chances are the soil is nearly back to it’s original pH.

2 Likes

What is the ideal pH for trees? I may go with peaches or apples.

Our well water is around 5.5 pH and the soil probably is too. Blueberries are very happy. I think I added some sulfur like 10 years ago and a bunch of peat when I planted them.

1 Like

Ideal may be about 6.5. Most do very well from 6 to 7.5.

2 Likes