Can I graft over this big old crab apple?

The apples that I have grafted onto crabs taste fine also. I have had no experience with altered taste from grafting even when apples are grafted to pears. Go slow and learn grafting and your big tree will be something to be proud of.

3 Likes

I’m happy to hear about your father’s, and Auburn’s, apples on crabs success because i have a lot of those growing (no fruiting yet). But I’ve run across comments in older books and articles saying crab stock might affect tbe fruit negatively by size or taste. And others recommend it as good practice. There are so many variables it’s hard to get a firm conclusion usually. Sue

1 Like

@AnnaBee
“The grafters handbook” is a good book .
Won’t answer all your questions, but with help from others here will get you started with this science project .
Several on eBay for ~ $10 ( don’t everyone buy them at once )
Got mine for $5 worth every $

1 Like

If i was going to try this i would probably cut to a stump in mid-winter and get a single variety scion to start, if the tree doesnt crap out right off it should send some extremely vigorous suckers—with babying you might be able to get new grafts taking in june or so on those semi-hardened shoots.

That, or cut to stump, grow several suckers out all next year, then the FOLLOWING spring graft to the nicest suckers, and begin pruning away the others.

2 Likes

I have no advice for the OP, I have just been reading with interest because I have a Bartlett pear that was pretty hard hit with fire blight that I want to try some resistant pear scion on this year.
Thank you for the book suggestion, @Hillbillyhort! I see that Amazon has The Grafter’s Handbook Kindle edition for $3.99, perhaps not the easiest book to take into the trees with you, but a good price!

2 Likes

That is awesome! Can we get an update on this tree? I have a large crabapple that I’m deciding what to do with. It has lots of suckers around the base.