Can I say it took?

Early Spring I practiced grafting the first time in my life. Unfortunately, I grafted Apricot onto Asian pear by mistake, BTW the graft are still alive. Couple of weeks ago, my scions all started to leaf out or flower, so I think what a heck, let me just to graft few onto to peach tree for fun, so I did with flowers and leaf all attached to the scion as is. Nature took care of the flowers and leafs that are so pale and weak. Now I see strong healthy green leaf start to grow… Should I open a bottle of Champagne, or it is just another fiction?

1 Like

Are you saying you took the leafed-out apricot grafts OFF of the pear tree and stuck them on a peach tree? If so, I’d break out the champagne just for the chutzpah involved! And they are now healthy?

looking at the picture and the greens all over the background, one could tell IL847 is situated where there is plenty moisture! Likely the budwood survived in the cool and moist surroundings, regardless of the wrong rootstock

Hi, Lizzy, jujubemulberry, These are the scions that had been in refrigerator and started to grow leaf and bloom. I figured rather than throw them away, I just graft some onto different trees. If some took that is great, if not, no harms done. This one is grafted on a red leaf plum, I think it took:

I did not take the apricot off the pear tree. I want to see how long it can last. As of today, it is still alive. But I think Tony is right, it eventually will die. Here is the apricot scion on pear picture:

It is fun to graft!

1 Like

very very nice, and quite intriguing. Keep us posted!

No…I for one don’t think you can say “it took”. Of course I’m not saying it didn’t, but your photos do not show enough growth imo to indicate that it is growing on anything other than it’s own stores. That, coupled with the fact that you know it’s on a reported non-compatible rootstock would, or should indicate extraordinarily cautious optimism.

My guess is it will soon die. But hey, it’s certainly worth staying tuned for, better than anything on TV. Thanks for posting.

Appleseed70, welcome your cautions. I agree with you, the scion on non-compatible stock will die once its stored energy is exhausted. It is interesting to see how far it goes and how long it lasts.

The second picture is graft non-dormant scion to compatible stock. it seems it could be done. theoretically, as long as the stored energy can supply its leaf/flower grow before the graft joints healing itself, the scion should not die. If this is the case, then the thicker the scion , the better chances of taking. I am a novice, practicing my grafting first time, this just my experiments and curiosity. Of course, things are more complicated than they look. I only report observed result.

2 Likes