Can this peach branch be saved?

I got tired of thinning when it came to this peach tree, so I didn’t thin enough . And this is what happened:

!

After I put in some support, this is what it looked like:

As you can see in the pictures, the top tear is almost closed, but I couldn’t closed up the gap of the bottom tear. I have temporarily use plastic wrap wrapped up the tear so water and bugs can’t get in.

Can this branch be saved? How? I thought about using wax to fill in the gap, don’t know whether that will help. If I remove some fruits and prune off some of the branches, would the gap close up better?

Appreciate any suggestions!

I’d just cut it out this winter. Peaches grow like weeds. Yours seems to have plenty of vigor. Just cut it out and there will be plenty of new growth next yr. You can select some of that growing where you want it.

While you’re pruning next yr take out about 1/3 of the old wood. Shorten up those long flat limbs. That will take some pressure of the next time you have a big crop.

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions! I know I should prune harder, but I am the kind of person just can’t bring myself to do it.

And this tree also grows a lot of branches very quickly, essentially water sprout. It’s hard to keep up the pruning.

I will prune like you suggested next springs, promise :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
I really don’t need it to produce that much fruits!

It’s too late to do hard pruning after I finish picking all the peaches in a week or so, right?

I think you’d be better off to wait until next spring. There’s not enough time for significant new growth this fall and then still have time for that to harden off. Next year is when you want new growth to replace what’s removed.

2 Likes

Yes it can be saved. Wrap I tight with grafting tape. It will heal itself but I agree with @fruitnut and it would be best to remove the branch.

2 Likes