Carolina Limbertwig extinct?

I see this variety was listed as widely grown in Colorado at one point. Is this one still with us or is it extinct?

1 Like

I got scion from Randy King on facebook last year. Have two trees in the nursery. Hopefully I can share next year. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Figured you would know Rick. The keeper of everything Limbertwig :blush: How about the Yellow Limbertwig is it a distinct variety or synonym for another variety?

My master list of LT varieties lists Yellow LT as stand alone- not known as anything else.

1 Like

Ok thank you Steve for clearing that up. Rick are you growing that one as well?

Just received scion for Yellow LT this year.

2 Likes

Where did you see that it was grown in Colorado? Is there another name? Can’t find it in Bussey or in Calhoun

It’s not a common variety anymore unfortunately. Nearly extinct now. Was in some historical literature. Jude from Montezuma Orchard has a lot of info on his website of historical orchards and their corresponding varieties there. Limbertwigs were very common in old Colorado orchards. Used as a universal name for the many cultivars, but Carolina was the only one mentioned by name.

Jude’s list has only Limbertwig which is more of a family name than single variety. We did get a Paragon also know as Black Twig from MORP. I’m wondering if Carolina Limbertwig is sort of a generic name since a lot of them came from the North Carolina area. Let me know if you find out anything more.

I’m not sure if it could be a synonym for another variety but Henry Morton knew more about Limbertwigs than anyone and he had it listed as its own singular variety. Jude has it listed as North Carolina Limbertwig and it was grown in the old Pennock orchard. I know there’s a couple members here growing it so maybe someday they will have fruit and be able to report back. Unfortunately there’s just not much info on some of these rare varieties. Take care.

This is how Rev. Morton described it in his fall 1986 catalog:

Carolina Limbertwig - Medium to large - round and conical in shape. Red with white pips - Some will have red stripes. Very good for fresh eating with its rich juicy aromatic flavor. Firm and crisp, yellow flesh - tremendous heavy cropper. One of the best Limbertwig varieties. A semi-weeping type. Only a few trees of this variety on FS. Ripens October. Small 2-3 ft. whips $3.50 each.

I probably have enough Limbertwigs, but I’d like to try this one sometime.

2 Likes