Casimir Holeski apples

Does anyone have a list of the apple cultivars that Casimir Holeski has found and/or named?

This is one of them - ‘Elkhorn’

8 Likes

I’ve sent him an email. We’ll see if he responds. He didn’t strike me as a computer guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s pretty - what’s it taste like?

3 Likes

I thought the same.
Resembles the “Irish Pitcher” I’ve looked for for some time.

1 Like

I’ve never tasted it. I only have a two year old graft on a potted tree.

Thanks. He and I only communicated through Facebook messenger where I had many conversations with him about apples, but he left FB and those messages all disappeared.

You aren’t the one who asked for his email address on Facebook are you?

Hi BB, Irish forum lurker here!

Irish pitcher is still being produced by Irish Seed Savers (most years, they rotate through their catalogue).

They supply other Irish nurseries too. First I list has it in stock now, also carried Future Forests and Heritage Fruit Tree Nursery here but out of stock already.

If it’s the pitching you’re interested in I think Irish Seed Savers have 2 or 3 others in their catalogue that will pitch (root from cuttings) too.

3 Likes

Yes, I am.

I’d be interested in both. But it being the apple before I learned of the ‘pitching’. Appletown wonder is another on my list I’d like someday.

Alas, I’ve not come across a source in America. But good to know you all still value the apple. (I welcome a pm or private message if you so desire to communicate a personal note. Thank you for chiming in here.)

And glad you came aboard.

Thanks for the welcome. I just put Appletown Wonder in the ground this winter on M106. Pomiferous says it’s also a pitcher. I’ll do a proper intro thread in spring, and discuss some malus interspecific crosses I have planned.

1 Like

I think we raided the Casimir Holeski topic…but glad to hear you’re also growing this other apple I desire.

1 Like

I took a grafting class he instructed, and the scion that he brought for us to graft he called a
“Smith Creek Sweet”, He said that he could not identify the apple so named it after the location where he found the old tree. I can’t wait to try one.

3 Likes

Elkhorn was listed as extinct in Old Southern Apples. I’ve made 2 grafts this spring.

6 Likes

Merle hawggard,

What are the odds you have any grafting scions or tree on rootstock elkhorn I can buy? Very much wanting to try this apple variety down here in Georgia. 2293189289

1 Like

Pm your address to me and I’ll send scions this January.

The Lost Apple Project (facebook) will have Elkhorn scions available this spring. A post is usually made around January 1st. If you follow the facebook page you’ll be notified when the sale starts.

3 Likes

Reviving this post to see if anyone has any current information on Casimir? I have a nice two year old Boco Exquisite tree I grew from scion from him. I have Elkhorn scion coming from the Lost Apple Project but kick myself for not getting more scion from him when it was available. He was finding some interesting apples in norhern Idaho.

1 Like

Greyphase, I have seven or eight apples Casimir found that I traded with him for before he went dark. Several have fruited, but all will set fruit this year, so I should be able to deliver an initial opinion as to their worthiness, at least here in my hot, dry summer climate. I’m happy to share scions with you this winter.

4 Likes

I’ll take you up on that offer. :grin: Thanks.

1 Like