Chart for freeze damage of flower buds for common tree fruits

It’s been posted here before. 23F is predicted here tonight, but it looks like it won’t cause much damage.

2 Likes

My apricot might get nipped a bit, but it’s too young to carry any fruit. I know apricots are a bit of a fool’s errand up here, but it would be inauspicious for the first bloom to get knocked by frost.

Jay,
What about first blooms got knocked off by late freeze two years in a row? That what happened to my apricots. Did not get to eat them until the third year of blooms. We are living on the edge here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

By the way, they were worth the wait.

1 Like

I live just an hour’s drive north of Manhattan in a hilly spot too far from water for much moderation. I have apricot trees with lots of open blossoms because they are trained against the wall on the south and eastern sides of my house. Even though they open sooner than if they were out in the open, they still manage to provide me with a nice crop most years. I’ve never been able to get trees out in the open to bare well for me but customers nearby in more favored sites do, especially those close to the Hudson River. Even in those favored sites the trees often die (even mine out in the open seldom have).

1 Like

@mamuang ouch! That’s kind of what I’m expecting (but not what I hope for). If I can grow mine to be half as good as what you shared, is say it’s worth it.

@alan fortunately I’m close to downtown, on the south slope of a hill, and not too far from a big river, so I tend not to get the worst of the freezes for the area. I’m at “tips separate” now. So they should mostly be ok.

My three year old managed to knock about 25% of the buds off when I was showing them to her, so she’s the real threat.

2 Likes