Cherry grafts taking off

Cherries have always been my most reliable to graft. And for us they take and grow faster than any other. Thought id share a few of the cherry grafts ive done over the last couple weeks.

This is a english morello I grafted onto our looser stella tree. Stella is a looser for us because it refuses to fruit.

This one is @Drew51 s White gold

This one is Juliet.

Romeo

Cristobalina

Royal Raineer

7 Likes

You got your Cristobalina! WOOT!

Those look good to me. When did you do the grafting?

1 Like

Yes i did! All of these were grafted in the last 15 days. Cherries push growth fast for me.

3 Likes

Jeepers, Eric. 15 days. Well done. Do you know what the CH requirement is for Cristobalina?

Patty S.

Supposedly only 100-200 hours.

1 Like

Okay, that MUST go into my yard. What are the cross pollinator options?? Wow. Why do I not know about this cherry cultivar??

I don’t think you sleep!

1 Like

Well, you’ve impressed me! What type grafts did you use?

You’ve certainly been accomplishing a lot of work lately.

Now, if I can just finish getting these trees planted, then I can get started attempting to graft.

Gee-- I wonder where that Royal Rainier came from…

Nice “take.”

1 Like

Eric cherries are nearly as hard to graft as peaches for us and you make it look easy! Weather must be pretty consistent this time of year there.

Cristobalina was a big deal a few years ago when Arboretum first opened and offered it. Its claimed to be a black self fertile super low chill cherry from Spain. I would have ordered one from them but all they offered it on was mahaleb, and that rootstock is sure death here. I know at least one local guy did order one and it predictably didnt make it thru summer. One big question that I cant seem to find a answer to is taste. As I look around on the web no one seems to comment on what it taste quality is. But if its been grown in Europe all these years it must be at least passable.

2 Likes

Ive tried lots of grafts but cleft graft most everything these days. Its 99% reliable for me. @alan is right when he says its slow…but for me its consistent, works with lots of different diameters of scion. I did a few Alan style grafts this year when I had same size wood and they took nicely too.

Work this time of year is non stop. It used to be worse when we did more vegetables. The cycle of soil prep/seed/cultivate/harvest then start over was killing us. Its alot of work, lots of yield but lots of work. We still do some but not like we used to. There will be a slight lull now until the really crazy time when harvest and sales begin in May-July1.

1 Like

Thank you Matt. They were beautiful scions. Super excited to see if they will fruit here.

1 Like

Easiest to most difficult for us is cherry/peach/apple/pear/persimmon/apricot/plum/fig/pomegranate. The first 5 are totally reliable. Apricot is ok. Plum gives fits. Fig is tricky. Pomegranate is total failure. Weather this time of year is very predictably warm. Highs of high 80’s and lows in the high 40’s.

1 Like

So bizarre as the mother tree is still dormant here, incredible how plant material adapts to location.

I’ve chip budded sweet cherries…no issues. I won’t graft stonefruit any other way up here…

T-buds have worked great for me with cherries. I’ve lost just one out of 4 I tried last summer. Lone chip bud tried failed. All of my cherry cleft grafts are taking off. They do look vigorous!

1 Like

Thanks, Eric. I’ll have to put a calendar reminder on my iPhone to order this from Arboretum next season and see if it will do okay in my yard. Does anyone know when they start taking orders?

Patty

Pffft! Arboretum is a pain to deal with. That and they havent offered Cristobalina in awhile. Patty I got your back girl. I have a stick left and ill include it with the Amadiocot when I send it. :wink:

Eric for us grafting easiest to hardest is
pears/apples/plums/cherries/mulberry/peaches/apricots

1 Like