Chestnut root rot

A couple of my large 20 year old chestnut trees (castanea sativa seedlings with tasty big chestnuts) rapidly within one year died apparently from root rot (ink disease). It looks like nothing can be done once the symptoms start (smaller leaves …etc). Sad that trees that big which have produced much nuts for many years suddenly die with no chance to save them. Anyone know if there is anything that can be done?

1 Like

What has changed has it been unusually wet was any groundwork performed that changed drainage.

The springs here are quite wet up to mid may then the rains stop completely till September. That’s been the case all through Basically. I suspect there may be a clay layer somewhere below the surface and the trees reach it after many years! Or not? Root rot is strange as it seems to happen with little warning … and worse once it sets in , we can do nothing! No vaccine!!

1 Like

For large trees there is realistically nothing you can do.

This is why Chinese and Japanese chestnut hybrids are better to plant in some areas, because they are usually resistant to root rot. European trees usually have very little resistance and Americans none at all.

This disease is an introduced soilborn disease spreading from the southeast to north. Drainage is crucial also acidic soil is a plus. TACF the american chestnut foundation has online articles on this.
It is not totally accurate to say that chinese chestnuts have resistance. This disease may not be in most geographic locations yet
I prefer the permaculture method of mixing all the chestnuts together and let the survivors be the future. I am growing american chestnuts but it is extremely difficult in Wisconsin. Stay away from limestone soils

1 Like

It is accurate to say that most Chinese trees have resistance to root rot.