Chill hours and USDA zones

This is just a semi off topic discussion.

Most fruit plant catalogs rate everything by USDA zone, as we’ve all gotten used to. But a large part of the “warm” end of the equation has to do with the required chill hours. This is always annoyed me, because zones are only based on minimum winter temperatures on average.

Zone 8a in WA gets far more chill hours than zone 8A in Texas. I don’t imagine too many growers in the Seattle area suffer from too little chill, but people in Texas probably had to pay a bit more attention to it.

Isn’t there a better way?

Most catalogs also list chill hr requirements. While the chill hr numbers don’t work the same everywhere it’s usually good enough. That covers winter hardiness and chilling needs.

1 Like

It is a lot different but more from the heat. I can buy a plant that will survive my winters but might succumb to the heat. Scarlet runner beans do well in London at 8a-9 zone but above 90 degrees (usually occurs in May) they are useless if not dead. And then our chill hours are so unpredictable. We may get 300 one year and 1300 the next.

Katy

1 Like