When your chomping at the bit to start grafting but smart enough not to that couple of weeks of self restraint typically is the difference between successful grafts and failures. My fridge is overflowing with scions I purchased or was given and like all of you I need them out of my way and on my trees. Looking for consistent 70 degree or so temperatures. How is your patience holding up? Who’s grafting already?
I probably do some pear grafting this weekend. The weather is in the 60s to 70s and long term forecast is looking good.
my patience is holding out ok. Could be my nerves of steel, or incredible self-discipline.
Could also be the freaking snow on the ground…
I have rootstocks on order from Burnt Ridge that should arrive in April, and I intend to go digging wild apple/crab and plum for drafting into rootstock servitude as well, but I haven’t felt too worried about grafting because where you might be weighing the possibilities, there ARE no possibilities here just yet. Makes self-control a lot easier knowing you don’t really have other options.
I don’t think my ohxf 87 rootstocks I planted last spring are ready to graft yet. My old pear tree is pushing leaves and probably could be grafted soon. Maybe in a week or two
I already grafted. It’s been 60s-70s-even 80s here the last few weeks with lows in the mid 40-50s. So I grafted. Ofc, now we’ve received a cold snap . (But cold snap to us=maybe the low will be 30 or 31 the next two days.). So right now I have the grafts chilling out in a shed in some moist potting soil and have loosely wrapped a plastic covering around them. I hope I can plant them out this weekend…I think we’ve passed our last average frost date and the 2 week forecast looks like the temps will be back up to where they were.
I’m a newbie so I have no idea if any of what I did was “good” (if anyone has any comments/corrections, I’d love to hear them!). But that’s what I’ve done thus far.
I’ll admit I succumbed to temptation. My understocks have been pushing a lot of new growth and the forecast showed highs in 70s so I grafted some a few weeks ago (held back on some others so I’ll be able to do some backups if necessary). I wasn’t expecting this cold front so hopefully it doesn’t cause a problem. The ones I grafted are in containers though so I moved them to the laundry room which stays pretty warm. They’ll be moved back out in a few days to my southern exposure patio which is usually quite a bit warmer than the forecasted high. I’m already seeing the plum/pluot grafts pushing growth. The one apricot I did is starting to push as well and it looks like the nectarines won’t be too far behind (fingers crossed).
Not even close yet, I’m so dormant here I could probably collect scion wood for 2 or 3 more weeks
I think we stay that way …i’m not seeing any sign of an early bloom. Extended looks very wet around here.
You’re cracking me up, today. Big time. Servitude-> hilarious.
Needed places to put scions already advancing in my fridge. Bought one peach. That turned into a second peach… that turned into a third but smaller this time, peach + a very nice plum.
Got at least (2) grafts of everything on these trees. Realllly glad some pluots have expired their patent dates as they allow me to try them on peach as well as Euro plum
Probably 35 grafts total on these.
That’s hardcore dude.
I have to say that I was not so patient and I grafted some scions just before the hard freeze. The forecasts did not really show that it will be so bad. Oh, well, I still think that the scions were quite dormant and may do OK after this weather. I am going to graft more this weekend. Some scions started to wake up, so it is better to get them out.
Certainly not any outside grafting, but I have done my bench grafting of pears, plums, and apples. They are just breaking bud. Today I fired up the greenhouse and put them in there. Up till now they have been cluttering up my basement seeding room.
I roll that way. Excess is good.
The weather has been all over the place from snow a week ago and 20’s for temperatures up to 85 degrees today. It’s almost time to start grafting. I’m looking for a little more even temperatures if I can get them. Going to wait a week and see where I’m at. Definitely need to get started on the grafting.
I went out and pruned some of the branches of the wild Mulberry understocks from Our failed Che experiment. Looks like the saps are starting to move with buds swelled. I ready to top work ten large understocks to Oscar, Girardi, Illinois Everbearing, and Kokuso Mulberries. I will share the fruits with the birds so they will leave my other fruit trees alone.
I’m going to graft pears and apples pretty soon and leave everything else alone this year.