Choosing On A Budget

Kinda but not too bad… the guy i talked about grows them in these big planters Each planter has like 100 plants and the plants go over the side and onto the bare ground and tip root themselves. Doing this with 1 year olds is easiest because they like to sprawl… and self propagate like gangbusters.

Also can do root cuttings… 1 inch root cuttings usually work but that takes more time than it does to tip root… LSU has a video of how to propagate by root cuttings…i posted that a month or so ago.

So technically you can do softwood cuttings, primocane semi hardwood cuttings, root cuttings and also tip root… so u can have many propagation techniques going at the same time…

Yeah i guess it is alot of work :sunglasses: But profit margins are pretty high…going from 1 plant to thousands in a fairly short amount of time.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I’m talking about. You mentioned it in the context of a few thousand, which I’m rapidly approaching.

My bad, dollars, not trees.

I propagate a few hundred as I’m still pre retirement. I’m a systems engineer so I find it fascinating how approaches that works absolutely perfect at a given scale actually become a huge hindrance at the next level. Fortunately I never plan on growing more than 1,000 (probably around 600~700) so I can optimize to my heart’s content to the level I’m going to be aiming for.

3 Likes

I’ve done it! I’ve purchased Anne! Thank you all for your help with my decision, I regret nothing. :smile:

This also caught my attention. I’m always wanting to get new plants and never have enough in the budget. Canefruit plants are an almost untapped market here. Maybe I could fund further purchases by selling them. But… which ones are patent-free?

This’ll be another contender for my next purchase for sure. Heat-tolerant, yes… now I’d like to see if I can coax its floricanes into production with zero chill. Low-chill floricanes should be able to produce here. Anything 200 hours or under is fair game.

I’ve got quite a selection of strawberries, but most are in relatively small containers (1 gallon), and I’m scared to over-fertilize, so both vigor and production are lower than I’ve seen for other folks near me. I’ve lost a few plants to fertilizer, thus my caution. Their fruiting pattern mirrors the canefruit, with Day-neutrals bearing more readily than June-bearers (unless the latter is a low-chill type).

Please give me more details my friend! Have you tried growing it or have tasted it? How did your experience go? I’m surprised ‘cause most of what I’ve seen for that fruit is praise.

I’m quite biased towards thornlessness, but I’ll overlook the fiercest thorns for a great fruit.

If I may dare to request the recipe… pretty please with a raspberry on top! :astonished:

3 Likes

make sure you plant cascade gold in well draining soil or on a mound. it doesn’t like wet feet… i had to move mine.

3 Likes

These are the unripe fruits on my Joan J and Caroline:

And the PAF in the container:

3 Likes

Absolutely. I have a few, some never grow or fruit some are explosive in growth and fruit. However IME small fiddly fruit and unique flavor is only good for grazing while doing yardwork not really something to put in a dish IMHO. Productive plants can take a good portion of room for something negligible. I have room to leave them for the birds who bring me joy or they would be on the burn pile.

1 Like

The flavor is often quoted as being the main draw. ¿Can you describe how it tasted to you?

¿How small and fiddly is it compared to something like a blueberry, a goji, a goumi or any of the other berries?

1 Like

It is the size of a small blueberry. Just under ripe tastes like a christmas tree smells. Perfectly ripe tastes like strawberry cotton candy. Divine. Good texture not mealy with a nice pop similar to a good blueberry . But seriously…only good for grazing unless you know somebody keepimg culinary secrets

1 Like

Honestly, what you described sounds excellent! If size is the only drawback, I’d still consider it better than a novelty. I grow a mistletoe cactus for grazing (those fruits are tiny), and I can’t even eat my home-grown açaí berry until after I process it.

Are the berries anything like in this video? ‘Cause those look decently sized to me.

3 Likes

Yes! I must admit i do have a preference for crops i can turn into meals and tend to turn my nose up at those that are not so readily harvested in one quick go. If you are satisfied with a trailside snack or repeatedly harvesting and freezing (as with blueberries) then do what makes YOU happy on your property. They are a very unique and delicious little berry you certainly will not be disappointed by the flavor.

1 Like

@Itchybee Are you growing named clones or are they seedlings?

Also, ¿can I buy some cuttings off you? (or small plants if you have them).

Im unaware of named clones. I bought plants from annies annuals and do not know if they are seedlings or cutting grown. You mentioned you were short on room. I recently moved a five foot tall plant that was almost as large around. Its rootball was about 2 1/2 feet around by about 10 inches deep. It was in good loam and could have been massive so i assume it would do very well in a large pot if that would help you to plant more. I do not know anything about sending plant material to another country. I will research it and p.m. you if i find it doable. I do have a spare baby from the one i moved.

2 Likes

@Itchybee

We’re USPS here in Puerto Rico. I’ve had two international packages intercepted, but never any from the mainland States, and I’ve ordered plenty of live plant material over the years.

I’m “somewhat” short on room. I’m growing my potted plants on the roof, but I do have a backyard, as well as a slope beyond it.

1 Like

Where in PR are you ? I lived in Humacao.

1 Like

I live in Villalba. The warmer foothills, not the higher mountains, in my particular case.

1 Like

After messing a bit more with the budget, I ended up ordering everything (over time) except the Ugni. I lost out on that one. Now for the surprising bit… my Anne seems to have gotten lost in the mail. It’s been 2 weeks since it shipped out, so even if it does arrive, I don’t anticipate it’ll be alive.

Attar of Roses Scented Geranium arrived on Tuesday, I potted it up, pruned it, and potted up the cuttings, and it’s growing well. Honestly, I’m not sure the smell fully reminds me of rose blossoms, but nevertheless it is quite thoroughly pleasant. The next aromatics on my radar are Strawberry Scented Geranium (Countess of Scarboro), Strawberry Mint, Banana Mint, and Tangerine Scented Marigold (Tagetes lemmonii). I already have Tarragon Scented Marigold (T. lucida) and Citrus Scented Marigold (T. nelsonii).

I had made an order to Edible Landscaping before the original choice from this thread, and it arrived today at the same time as the Salal. Ohio’s Treasure Black Raspberry, Double Gold Raspberry, and Crandall Currant. Let’s see how they all handle my climate.

I also went into the mountains today with my folks, and brought back a pair of wild raspberry plants. I left them soaking, and will plant them tomorrow. I’m really really really hoping they’re Atherton Raspberries (R. probus), though I’ll settle for Roseleaf (R. rosifolius). Both are feral in my town, but the Atherton is juicier and of stronger flavor. Roseleaf is mealier and milder. I can tell them apart by fruit shape, but they weren’t fruiting when I found them. I wanna try breeding with them.

Next up I’m gonna try to get my hands on Loganberry to see if its floricanes have a low chill requirement (those of my Tayberry seem to be high chill).

After that, I wanna look into the Cascade Raspberry series. ¿Should I start with Cascade Delight, or should I start with Cascade Gold?

I also wanna get Brandywine as it’s the only primocane-fruiting purple I’ve found, but I’m not sure where I can get it.

My Caroline and Joan J. are fruiting! But the Joan J.’s seem to be much smaller, like a shallow thimble. I didn’t photograph it, but I did snap a pic of Caroline:

3 Likes