Citrus grafts growing crazy now. Most were bark grafted

From this:

To this!

details… rubber bands and parafilm starting to disintegrate without removing them.

9 Likes

The only maintenance I have needed is to remove the rootstock sprouts below the grafts! If you do this faithfully, you’ll have a lot higher chances of take of your grafts.

4 Likes

Joe, How deep is your scion insertion into the bark?. Mine average is around 1.25 inches.

Ton

1 Like

I usually do 2" minimum and will only do less than that if the scionwood is shorter.

1 Like

Nice job! Do you know of a decent guide on citrus grafting? I’ve only grafted a plum tree, and it never made it.

1 Like

here’s my pictorial tutorial, be sure to read the details in the caption of each picture.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154011161611804.1073742033.762176803&type=1&l=fe93335158

3 Likes

Nice work Joe!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Joe it is save to call you " The Godfather of Grafting", learn from you years back.

1 Like

Thanks @aap Bob! I don’t deserve the credit, many other people are far better than me at grafting. I don’t have a plant surgeon’s hand and lousy with the knife but I try to work around my limitations.

1 Like

You could have fooled me Joe, i know better.

1 Like

Joe, i’m not much into multi variety tree’s but i do have a nice assortment of citrus tree’s all grafted.
I do have a seedling mango tree that i have growing for about 3 years now. I am able to keep this tree alive and growing good. This early spring got brave and got sionwood from different sources, Florida and grafted 3 varieties on this tree, a total of 7 grafts, got 5 left, one is growing pretty strong and the others showing live. I’ll know in another week.
DSC00417

5 Likes

Wow! You’re getting very good at it!

Man, citrus is the one fruit that I have no success in grafting.

2 Likes

My citrus newly grafts, spring 2017 and spring 2018 expansion over 20 growing in Rootmaker containers. All looking good. Don’t know where to put them for the coming winter, sh…!!
DSC00461

4 Likes

Try and try! My first few citrus grafts didn’t take and I thought citruses are the hardest to graft. Timing is truly the biggest factor. Use appropriate style with the season.

1 Like