Clark's Crabapple

@clarkinks You can see it has more than doubled since I planted it earlier this year. It will definitely take off again in the fall, usually around here the fall growth is even greater than spring. I think I was wrong altogether about CAR, the leaves just have a few blemishes (the 3rd picture down). I attached a couple pictures of my Winecrisp leaves for contrast (highly susceptible to CAR). You can see the pressure is high here.

I also have a Clark’s little yellow pear grafted and doing well (in a pot) and your “Heathberries” are also beginning to establish. They died initially when I planted them due to a big and unusual drought this spring. I didn’t water them bc I was looking to see how tough they were (the roots seemed amazing when I planted) and they have all bounced back and shot up new shoots! I can get you a pic of those later if desired. Thanks for all of your contributions, especially to my family personally. We will be blessed by these treasures for life!

4 Likes

Lots of fruit second year in the ground in south central Kansas. Very clean. On M-111. I have 3 from 39th Parallel. A few fruit the first fall too!

8 Likes

Wow man how old is the tree in total?

2 Likes

Planted Spring of 22 as probably a 1 year old bare root tree.

4 Likes

Wow i love this thread! Nothing makes me happier than seeing those apples doing well! I’m really glad to read about the blackberries and pears as well! Kansas is a very tough environment for apples! If they can survive here they can make it almost anywhere else! Thanks for all the pictures and ofcourse i want to see more pictures also!

8 Likes

My graft on G890 took, but it’s been a little slow to put on size. The Cummins rootstocks didn’t have many roots so I’m guessing it’ll need another year or two before it “leaps”.

2 Likes

my 51in tall Clarks crab has set 43 fruit about marble sized some bigger. was going to thin but seeing the full size the fruit get and where they’re positioned ill let them develop and watch closely. my 6’ sargents crab set a similar amount of fruit of 4 different varieties as well. only 4 set on my 10ft. y. transparent and 1 on my 6ft. redlove odysso. just happy to finally get a decent fruit set. funny thing is the smallest tree i believe set the most fruit. Clarks. ill have to recount a little later to reconfirm.

2 Likes

@steveb4

Grab us a picture if uou get aaa chance at some point. Sounds good!

1 Like

Here’s a pic of my grafts and the apples they set. Not the best pic but the pale yellow marks the 3 grafts.

3 Likes

@roth2000

They look like they are loaded!

1 Like

Pretty much set fruit on every flower. Looking forward to tasting them this fall.

2 Likes

@roth2000

The taste should be the best part. Let us know how you like them!

3 Likes

Nice branch structure!

3 Likes

Im letting them size up more then ill post a pic.

1 Like

There are alot of these trees out there now!

5 Likes

I’m going to have to try this one. A cold winter or two in Fairbanks will establish how hardy it is. Love me some applecrabs.

4 Likes

My big clusters of Clark’s Crab are getting a little bigger now. I have been sampling a few in the large clusters mostly to just reduce the weight on the small limbs. This is a learning year for this apple. It’s nice to have enough that I can sample some.

1 Like

As of now my Clark’s Crab appears to be happy at my hot central Alabama location. My guess is that it will have a wide range that it will grow well in.

3 Likes

Here in far eastern Washington, I must irrigate young whips on G890 more than the others. When I moved Shackleford on Gen890 last year, it spent the whole season establishing roots. It had already spent two seasons where I had initially planted the bench graft.

I hear good things about G890 & both whips (also Kandil Sinap) on it did better after I added fungal inoculant.
I put Clark’s Crabapple on Bud118 this year, so it can handle the near desert condtions I face better. (Besides, I want plenty of scionwood someday!)

5 Likes

unfortunately, the critters pruned out much of my fruitlets. i got about a doz left i put organza bags on. at least ill get to eat some. should get a bumper crop next year. would have had near 50 fruit on a 5ft. tree. crazy! i was going to let them all develop as the tree has great crotch angles. now its putting its energy on growing which is what it should be doing. its only its second year.

4 Likes