Cleft grafts and how they’re healing

Standard box cutter utility knife with replaceable onesided blades has worked like a charm for me.
Otherwise I’d use a pocket knife or a non-stainless small kitchen knife if I wanted a 2 sided blade.

the w & t just looks so much nicer, and I do it 5 to 1 over cleft grafts. I don’t think the ‘take rate’ is much different. Actually the ‘saddle graft’ if done well also makes a nice graft without the scar tissue of the cleft grafts.

Top working an existing tree requires being creative in choice of graft.

3 Likes

Love my box cutter for grafts. The replacement blades are low cost and sharp enough to do a good job out of the box. So simple to put a new blade in wipe it off and graft until your tired. I rarely do large clefts and they would require a much bigger knife.

3 Likes

I am a novice grafter for sure, but I have gotten lucky with a few clefts that really healed cleanly with essentially no ugly scarring. So I guess it’s possible.
But definitely not the prettiest graft - no argument there.

3 Likes

I have one peach cleft graft (scion and stock same size) that is already smooth with no dead scar tissue in the same season. I’ll get a pic later.

2 Likes

I grafted a Williams Pride on the same frankentree. It’s not doing as well. It grew about 10” and stopped, already setting a terminal bud. Is it going to fail?

2 Likes

Not going to fail, but don’t let that bud go - pinch it out.

1 Like

I give it a 99% chance of success.

1 Like

Will pinching work even if it “wants” to stop?

Not sure I know. I do have an occasional takes and then stops. But letting it fruit will certainly not help.

1 Like

You can’t see it in the pic, but some of the lateral buds up near the tip appear to be pushing on their own.

1 Like

Grafting horizontally will sometimes limit the growth. Sometimes I put a secure split at the graft union and then tie it slightly upward to promote more growth. This is a hard time of the year to get it growing again especially if it has already set fruit buds.

2 Likes

The only real concern I have, is I’m trying to create four main scaffolds of these different varieties.

Three grafts, one is the “existing“ variety (Gala).

If this graft stops growing, but the others keep going, I fear the others will be so dominant that this particular variety will never amount to much.

2 Likes

It’s pushing from two laterals while the terminal bud remains dormant.image image

2 Likes

Peach cleft graft (grafted in April)

1 Like