Cold weather is here - The end of the 2018 Harvest!

Ice and rain mix is falling today as i harvest the last of the 2018 produce.

7 Likes

Yes indeed, it’s been snowing here all day. It doesn’t usually snow until Halloween, sometimes later in my experience. It’s coming down hard, now though! Only thing left in my garden is some half ripe raspberries. That’s a nice haul of little peppers.

1 Like

@Katie_didnt_Z4b
Thanks the peppers have done well this year. Picking tomatoes to make fried green tomatoes as well. We are leaving the turnips in the ground since cold does not bother them much. Still habaneros and a few jars of pear sauce on the table we have not put away yet from a couple days ago. The last of the year we are running low on energy so we grind the last of the pears peel and all for sauce minus the core and blemishes. We add nutmeg, cloves , and cinnamon but not sugar. The taste is just like apple sauce.

7 Likes

getting pretty cold here. mid/ upper 40’s during the day now. won’t be long before it snows here too.

1 Like

Sure wish in a way we had another month though to be honest the year was long enough! We are ready to rest up by the time winter comes around. Hopefully 2018 was kind to everyone. In spite of the drought we had a good year overall!

2 Likes

Calling for 32 Wed here, danggit. I have lots of peppers out there that will have to be picked. Can’t believe this after it being 86 a week ago, but the average first freeze for us is about Oct 16th. We also have some primocane black and raspberries that aren’t quite ripe, so they’ll get bit, which is a shame.

It got down to 61 here in the house today, so I gave in and turned on the heat, although it wasn’t on for very long. It’s like what happened to fall, we went from summer to winter, in a week.

1 Like

In our area we skipped spring also and went straight to summer. Weather has been the weirdest i’ve seen in my lifetime. Since we had a shorter and more dry growing season the only thing that saved my fruit crop was the fact my pears were all grafted on those tough old wild callery rootstocks. The garden was watered weekly this year.

2 Likes

Looking for about 35 on Wednesday…but this may be the second latest in 45 years for frost in southern Kentucky…if we don’t get frost at Mid-week! (Based on lunar cycle, not the actual calendar in common use.)

2 Likes

It has turned off cold here quick so its good that i got the last of the produce harvested today. Snow is still coming down

3 Likes

Oh… NO!!! keep it over there!!

2 Likes

I woke up with a tiny section of rain/sleet mix on my deck. My annual flowers haven’t shown any sign of frost/freeze yet though. It’s gonna be any second though I know.

Dax

1 Like

All that hot and dry weather then going straight to snow. Those are some tough conditions.

1 Like

Very hard to guess the right moves to make this year.

2 Likes

Ouch!
Still mid 80’s here.

1 Like

32 often produces little or no damage

I pulled most of my tender plants last week, but there was nothing I wanted to keep growing that would be likely frost-bit

2 Likes

@Calron
It may be 80 tomorrow lol! For now this is one of my honeycrisp. Im thankful for the moisture though its a tough way to get it!

I checked the forecast and its still calling for 32 Wed night, and a few nights in the mid 30s and then 32 again Sun night. So we might be OK.

What effect would 32 be on our brambles and any berries on them? Would they ripen normally after being exposed to such temps?

1 Like

Crazy seesaw weather :smiley:

1 Like