Comice regal red pear

As I’m checking the orchard some grafts like this one need pruned up a bit. That’s a comice regal so clearly I grafted higher not knowing anyone growing this tree or much about its fireblight tolerance. The graft union indicated it was partially incompatable with this callery. It also indicates the grafting tape was left on to long. It looks like I pruned the undergrowth from the rootstock back once already. Give me some time and I will update you on this rare pear. For now those wicked thorns are on my side as things may try to pick on this tree over the winter. This rootstock was definately harvested wild rootstock.

Someone may wonder how to find callery like this for their orchard. This time of year the foliage is brilliant red so you can spot them a mile away. Take a look at the photos below.

Looks like I grafted it in 2019

" 22 PI 541534 - COR - Pyrus communis doyenne du comice regal red
Regal Red Comice (Red Doyenne du Comice) (PI 541534).-Originated in Phoenix, Oregon, by Charles Lyle Kinney, Medford, Oregon Introduced in 1965. Plant patent 2527; 1 June 1965; assigned to Bear Creek Orchards, Medford, Oregon. Bud mutation of Doyenne du Comice; discovered in 1960. Fruit: similar in size, shape, conformation and character to that of Comice; color overall red with slight purplish tint when ripe, has a mottled greenish-yellow undercoat when it approaches ripeness; flesh white, fine melting when ripe; eating quality excellent. Tree: identical to Comice, except for darker foliage. - Brooks and Olmo Register of Fruit and Nut Varieties" according to this thread -What Pears will you grow this year?

This photo is from dalival it is not mine of what the fruit will look like
3f2c27148abecd601981671284fd799227dcc6e0

6 Likes

I put regal red in two years ago on 87 root stock. So far it is alive, but has put on about zero growth. It’s one I really wanted, so hope it does better next year. I have just about all of the red versions of pears. They seem to taste a little better than their green named counterparts. IMO.

2 Likes

@Robert

Yes I grow red rogue , red anjou and others myself. They look like they taste better but as far as tasting better I’m not sure. Perhaps wear a blindfold and have someone give you a test of your pears. Nearly every pear to me is different.

1 Like

Not trying to side track your thread just a quick question. With so many pear trees how are you dealing with the fridge time required for ripening?

By the way, I have done the side by side comparison of red anjou vs green. Red was softer, juicier, and slightly better tasting, but that could have just been the individual pears themselves.

1 Like

@Robert

Most pears don’t require refrigeration. Currently it’s colder in the evenings than a refrigerator so we couldn’t have a better ripening season than right now. In most cases the difference is unnoticeable. In the event I had a large quantity of a variety that did @39thparallel has a huge walk in cooler I could use for long enough to cold ripen some pears.

Dalival says the red regal comice is slightly inferior to regular comice.

1 Like

It says productivity is inferior not taste. It also says that the tree is very vigorous, but that sure isn’t what I have seen.

1 Like

It would seem that the roots were inferior at planting time or the soil trying to be rooted into is difficult? Are either the case? Did you happen to buy this from me / from eBay? Sorry if I had sold you bad roots.

Dax

1 Like

@Barkslip

That’s a wild callery rootstock in the picture. That dirt is as bad as any dirt you have ever seen but it won’t matter in a few years. This pear everyone will just wish they had more.

2 Likes

You don’t remember? I bought about ten trees from you. Not sure what it’s issue is, but I doubt it’s your fault. All the others are doing great. Wish I had bought the other regals you had as well. I don’t think they get any better than comice.

3 Likes

There’s two Robert’s on here (same icon color and same gardening zone) and the other one I’ve asked before how his trees were doing and he had no idea what I was talking about. ha-ha. Sorry, Bob.

Okay sorry to you as well for interrupting @clarkinks

Did you plant any of the regals or were they all sold? You had several more rare varieties I wish I had bought. I have a russet colored seckel you may want to try if you get back into it. Not actual russet, just like a bronze color. Not sure what it’s called.

2 Likes

Thanks @Barkslip it looks like a winner here. We won’t know until it blooms how resistant it is to disease.

1 Like

I sold them all - and I didn’t keep one, I don’t know why I sold them all . . . sort of dumb looking at it now.

Yep, Clark, you sure got that right.

Thanks, Guys,

Dax

1 Like

Don’t worry clark and I both have some rare pears you can get scions from. Plus I bought quite a few of the ones you sold. I plan on whacking down a few of my trees to convert (graft) to red varieties.

2 Likes

Yep, I want red Comice. Comice is my favorite pear, too.

1 Like

Think it will produce pears this year soon we will know. It has blossoms this year.

1 Like

No pears yet just blooms this year which is not unusual but very disappointing. I’m excited about this one ofcourse. It needed pruned and i did prune it. Callery like that are fireblight resistant so i can prune whenever. There are huge benefit here notice how i grafted very high on the tree with the idea if it gets fireblight as comice could the roots might not die. That sets me back 2 years and not 10 years.

This shows the undergrowth half removed.