Cot-N-Candy Aprium in Vista CA

Blossoms are now opening

5 Likes

My Blenheim, Flavor Delight and other cots started blooming today too… Amazing how Delaware and San Diego coincided in bloom time…

1 Like

7 Likes

Lovely… You don’t seem to have done much thinning… Is Cot’n Candy tolerant to heavy crops? Do you expect the fruits to still size-up and be sweet enough?

P.S. I may ask you for scions next winter.

I was not permitted to thin it under penalty of death.

If it is off-patent.

1 Like

[quote=“Richard, post:45, topic:4886”]
I was not permitted to thin it under penalty of death.
[/quote] :joy::joy::joy: I know what you mean…

Oops… it’s patent is still active. For some reason I thought it was expired. I’ll go with Shalah and the other central Asian whites for a while then…

Why not just buy it bareroot?

Good idea :blush:. I did order it from Bay Laurel a couple of years ago, but when the time of delivery came, they called me saying that they did a mistake and don’t have enough trees, so I got Flavor Delight instead.

Now, I am running out of space in my yard (I have space for two more trees, one will be a very early nectarine from Rutgers program and the other probably FK or FG with future plum grafts planned). Since I heard mixed reviews about CC (surely you, @bleedingdirt and @FascistNation have rated it highly—all three of you are in zone 10 and quite a different climate from me), I am hesitant to use the precious space left in my yard for something that may not prove good in my climate and also is susceptible to spring frosts.

1 Like

Only one fruit on mine this time.There were about a dozen last year.
Richard,do yours get picked as they soften or drop from the tree?The one I have is still firm.Hopefully the Squirrels will stay away.bb

5 Likes

We pick when ripe. Squirrels aren’t an issue at my location.

2 Likes

Janet’s scrumptious Aprium rosettes :heart:

8 Likes

Richard, you posted Janet’s rosettes with different fruits. They are all looked delicious. But I don’t know what exactly rosettes is so I can’t help to google it . Apparently, it’s northern European cake made with very specific cookware/ or mold to make the specific shape ,right?

1 Like

@IL847
These rosettes are simple to make. Defrost a package of phyllo dough and unroll it onto a full size pastry board. Cut a 4" wide strip from the end of the full length. Use three sheets from this strip. Place them on top of each other but baste lightly with melted unsalted butter between each sheet. The original recipe calls for cream cheese on top of the sheets but we’re omitting it. In a bowl, place the berries or sliced fruit and mash it with your potato masher, adding 1/4 cup sugar per quart of fruit. Spread a portion of the mashed fruit on the right half of the stacked sheets. Fold the left half over the right and roll it up. Place vertically in a greased muffin pan. Repeat. When the muffin pan is full bake in preheated oven at 375° for 20 minutes.

1 Like

Thanks a lot,Richard I keep the recipe and want to follow your recipe to make rosettes when I have enough raspberries. Something new to make, should be fun👍

1 Like

Sounds like a prettier spin on baklava. :slightly_smiling_face: yum

1 Like

When does CNC ripen for you?

1 Like

This year at my location they began in mid-June and ended early July. Previous years they began a month earlier.

1 Like

Always the last of my pit fruits to admit it’s winter.

5 Likes

9 Likes

And first in the spring?