Cot-N-Candy Aprium in Vista CA

This year the Hood pear, Garden Prince Almond, Eva’s Pride and Mid Pride peaches, Desert Dawn nectarine, and Katy apricot came first. The Beauty plum and Flavor Grenade pluot are just cracking a few flower buds, and our Jiro and Chocolate persimmons are just waking up. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Would you be able to compare Sweet Treat or Sugar Twist to Cot-N-Candy? I know they have different parentage; I am asking directly in relation to texture and plum curcullo resistance, as my sweet treat and sugar twist are the most susceptible here. I know everyone’s flavor palette are different…

I haven’t tried Sweet Treat or Sugar Twist Pluerries. The chill hour ratings are 450 and 800 while my location receives 100-200. But Cot-N-Candy is an Aprium and very apricot-like so the flavor and texture profiles will be very different from Pluerry. As for plum curcullo weevil, it doesn’t occur here thank God so I can’t be of much help with that either. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Cot-N-Candy Aprium is like a white apricot. Sweet Treat Pluerry is like a Japanese plum.

2 Likes

My Cot-N-Candy is nothing like a white apricot. But it’s also not like a Pluerry :slight_smile:

When I eat a Flavor Delight Aprium, Cot-N-Candy Aprium, or an Apricot they all seem like the same type of fruit to me. Even between two different types of apricots the flavor and texture can vary a lot. I still consider them the same type of fruit.

1 Like

Which white apricot do you compare it to, when you say it is “nothing like a white apricot”? In other words, which white apricots have you tried?

They’ve been at the local market the last few years. I believe it’s just a single cultivar – not a successively ripening series. Very sweet in the spectrum of apricot flavors. You could pick it out in a color-blind taste test.

1 Like

Yesterday and today I trimmed this Cot-N-Candy Aprium, first with chainsaw, then loppers and pruners, and finally holiday lights.

4 Likes

We’re so happy to have the tree cages! Tonight we picked the first of perhaps 20 fruits ripening on this tree.

10 Likes

And, how are the fruits? They look fabulous!

1 Like

Oh yeah … we each had one. Absolutely fabulous. They’re at their best. The inside texture is half-plum half-apricot with 100% apricot flavor – and freestone to boot. No complaints about the crop quantity either: it’s plenty for the two of us.

2 Likes

Cotton-N-Candy is a mediocre fruit IME. I grew it about 6 years. Not nearly as good as the apricots I had. Soft flesh when ripe falls off the tree. My conditions are much warmer than Richard’s. 90s highs vs 70s. YMMV.

2 Likes

Yesterday we harvested the remaining dozen. As of today, 4 eaten and 8 to go. We keep them in the refrigerator for freshness and isolation from gnats.

1 Like

@Richard

Seems you are growing some of the same trees I am, I’m just a few years behind.

Have you gotten any production from the Katy yet? If so that’s good news for me as I get considerably more chill than you do. I see Katy listed as a anywhere from 200 to 400 chill hours, depending on the source. Difference for me though I get much, much hotter and much more humid than you in summer.

Katy Apricot
First year in the ground. Having some sap seepage issues at the base

Flavor Grenade Pluot
Second year in the ground. A vigorous grower. Even with a warm winter was full of blooms, but a late March moderate freeze after petal drop eliminated any chance at first fruit.

Cot-n-Candy Aprium
Second year in the ground. Also some sap weeping at the soil line. Growing well. No blooms this year.

Sweet Treat Pluerry
I think about 4 years old. Late freeze eliminated any possibility of fruit. I got about 3 dozen fruit last year for the first fruiting year. I picked them all early as the birds kept pecking them. I will bag them or the tree next fruiting year since it’s a small tree.

1 Like

@Shibumi
Katy is a light cropper here, but the fruit quality is very good. In contrast, Flavor Grenade is a moderate producer. With the tree cage this will be the first time in several years we get to eat the fruit. Cot-N-Candy is also a moderate producer. I’ve not tried Plueries here. Eva’s Pride peach is prolific, as was Mid Pride which succumbed to crown rot. The Desert Delight nectarine also provided ample fruit but Janet doesn’t care for nectarines. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Richard

Thanks for the post.

You know we start talking from a common fruit tree, but our climate is so different with temperature range, humidity, and rainfall. I won’t be surprised if my trees end up not producing well or succumbing to some disease pressure.

We’ll see. If I at least get blooms on the Katy and CnC next spring I’ll be happy.

PS. Your cage is a doable thing for me. I might capture 3 trees in the same cage. That way I can put one door in it for access to 3 trees. Thanks for the idea. Looks inexpensive as well.

1 Like

If you’re not already supplying them with a source of Potash, try scattering Sul-Po-Mag under the trees in the Fall (after leaf drop).

1 Like

I’ll have to look that up. Thanks.

It’s the first year in the ground for the Katy, so flowering would have been set by the tree and the nursery conditions.

I’d think next spring I should expect blooms at least.

2 Likes

Speaking of Cot-n-Candy Aprium, are these flower buds?

I’ve noticed now that the second year in the ground here (so 4th leaf) it spitting put some small branches off the main branches. The leaves on those are already gone.

Actually I don’t remember if these short branches ever had leaves.

Is this how aprium flower? Or apricots assuming the habit follows them more than plum.