Crape myrtle

hi can a crape myrtle tree grow in zone 6 if started from seed

Yes. But I don’t know just what the % of success might be.

They are said to require summer heat for best blooming.

I am 6b sunny kansas and we have two old established ones…
Different ones.
Both dieback to ground almost every year and regrow sort of like the inground figs. To 6ft or 8ft tall bush and set a late blooms that are nice full bloom in September. The one in full sun gets bigger than the one in 25% shade.
I imagine if you could find some a tad more hardy they wouldnt die back as much. There must be some hardier genetics out there?
This far north they need full sun like figs.

1 Like

The one I have is tough. No issues even after cutting it down several times. I’m 6b/7a though.

2 Likes

Has anyone harvested the fruit from their crape myrtles to make any sort of fermented beverages as they were traditionally used for?

Apparently it makes a good rootstock for pomegranate. But it should be hardier than pomegranate itself to be worth it.

I’m in northern Virginia and there is a crape myrtle in practically every other front yard. Unfortunately, there is a new invasive crape myrtle scale that is spreading quickly, probably in part since there are so many and it is easy for the pests to move from one to another.

Hopefully, if you have the only one in an area you won’t have the issue, but it is getting to be a real headache for people around here. I have a friend who has been growing out and shaping a lovely one in his front yard for years that is now thinking of taking it out.