Cummins Nursery 2018 inventory is out

Already ordered new Antonovka in case the one I have wouldn’t bounce back.

1 Like

Really?? I’m still waiting on my 2017 pear tree to show signs of growth. Cannot believe they are thinking about 2018.

1 Like

Most likely, they have walked the fields and taken an inventory of all the buds they did late last summer that have started growing.

If you place an order now, maybe you could send them a bag of 10-10-10 to spread around the trees you have ordered. Ha! :smile:

3 Likes

I read that at first as SOLD out!

1 Like

They have the much discussed but hard to find Harvest Queen pear for sale in their new inventory on Quince. Also have Magness on Quince which may be the way to go to shorten up the harvest time. If you are interested in these, may want to order soon, they only have 9 left in Grade 1 of each.

2 Likes

It is never too early! :grin: My Antonovka i got this year was a very small one - only tree I could get last year, and it is not doing as good as I want it. So I ordered a replacement/addition depending on the progress of that tree. I was able to get the only one Grade 1 feathered tree they had. So if you want it - ha-ha - you already late! :grin:

2 Likes

I really, really like Cummins and have purchased a lot of trees there, but unless you’re getting 50 at the minimum, the prices aren’t cheap. I’ll order some because I do like a couple of varieties and rootstocks that they have listed.

Regarding some of the E pears on Quince stock, I’m intrigued, because I’d really love to keep all of my pears somewhat dwarfed, but is it a hardy enough stock for zone 5A? The Cummins website acknowledges that it’s not as hardy as their other pear rootstocks.

1 Like

Considering it will be just one tree I order next year, I am OK with $40+ for tree including delivery. This is how much a good tree will cost in the nursery potted, but I wouldn’t be able to find what I want there.

1 Like

Yeah, agreed. I’m thinking the same thing, if I order 3 or 4 trees and get them delivered for $100 or a bit more, I can live with that as long as they’re the variety and rootstock that I need and want. That said, I’d rather pay $15 a piece for them. :grin:

2 Likes

Just curious, why do you want Antonovka? it is just used for rootstock up here, should I maybe grow one out?

1 Like

I noticed they don’t have much if anything on mm111

2 Likes

OK, first of all, it’s apple of my childhood.
Second, It is sour-sweet and has much more tender skin and flesh(not mushy, but fine) comparing to the apples I can buy in the store, like Gala, Macintosh, and others.
Third, and this is very important for me, I do not know better apple for apple pie or making preserves. It has so much pectin that you don’t need to add any pectin or starch, the cut apple pieces do not hold shape in the pie, and this is exactly what I like about them, the filling is more smooth. You also able to can it almost without sugar as chunky apple butter.
And fourth, it is only apple I know that works for fermenting. And I just love them so much!

6 Likes

Thanks galinas, I am always looking for a good apple that survives up here in the north.

It is funny that although we can grow this apple and it is a common and hardy rootstock yet, it remains totally unknown as a culinary and eating apple. We certainly don’t have many apples varieties so why we pass this one up is beyond me. I am going to let a few sprouts on my Antonovka grow out and produce apples, I was under the mistaken impression they were marbles not apples.

ETA I think this is one of the very few apples that comes true from seed.

2 Likes

I picked out 6 trees that are interesting to me (2 pears, 2 apples, a peach and a plum) and threw them into my “cart” and the total came to $187.50 with shipping or roughly $31 per tree. That’s probably not insane given that I’d pay that a garden center and probably not find the varieties or rootstocks that I wanted, but not inexpensive for sure.

2 Likes

I can tell you this…In the garden in Moscow suburb where my late mother lived there are 6 standard huge Antonovka trees that were planted in 1962. They are huge and damaged, and never taken care of. Nobody sprayed, bagged or anyhow else took care of them. Only care they had was leaves raking in fall and adding some cut grass in the circle on the drip line and occasionally removing branches that are broken, on the way or shade the veggie garden too much. They are biannual there and nobody attempted to make them annual, because when they produce - it is flood. Real flood of apples! They ready around middle of September there, but hold on the trees till October, and longer they are there, tastier and sweeter they are. But for storage they need be picked in September, they will not hold if you pick them when they overripe. In cold storage they can stay till December. Even if they get a bit dry there, they still are good.I already mentioned that they produce incredible aroma in storage. When you come in the room where few of them lay on the table for few days, you can’t ignore this aroma.
There is one more nice property about them. For very young kids who is struggling with skin issues related to food allergies and for whom red colored fruit may be a trigger, Antonovka apple is the first apple doctors recommend in Russia.

8 Likes

I do hope they put descriptions on some of the more unknown apples. I clicked on several I hadn’t heard of before and there was no description. Kind of makes it hard to decide whether to buy, lol.

3 Likes

Just ordered Sansa apple on G.11 and Harvest Queen pear on Quince.

1 Like

I’ve got Sansa G11, Gallarina G41, Honeysweet OHxF87, Harrow Gold OHxF87, PF24C Cold Hardy Krymsk 1 (peach) and Ousi Wase Krymsk 1 (Japanese plum) in my cart right now, but I’m not pulling the trigger until I give it a bit of thought. I’m actually rather curious about those pears on Quince, but I don’t think I dare do it in my 5A climate. I’d rather like another sweet cherry as well (probably White Gold), but I’d rather have it on one of the Krymsk rootstocks, which aren’t available.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that peach or that plum? How about the Krymsk rootstocks? I have peach and sweet cherry on Krymsk 6 and they’re doing well and I’ve got a bunch of Japanese plum and a Euro plum on Krymsk 1 and I like them so far as well, but I’m curious about others’ opinions.

1 Like

You can check out, you will not be asked to pay now, and until you get email in spring asking to pay you can change your order as much as you want, I did it last year.

3 Likes

Century Farm Orchard yesterday just posted their 2018 inventory. Looks like the added more Limbertwig varieties.

4 Likes