Cuttings or transplanting or grafting or new rootstock?

Thanks so much to the members who helped me resuscitate my flagging spirits with the grafting disasters. I am trying afresh. As you know I am trying to graft from a very small crowded out sweet fig to a large inedible fig.

But the project is expanding. I want to save the small fig and somehow translocate it into a pot and also into the ground in another sunny part of the garden and also into a future greenhouse which is exciting me no end.

Now these questions -

1. Do I use cuttings from the small fig and attempt to grow them once they are sprouting roots?
  2. Is the small sweet fig not already grafted on root stock and then do I not need to do the same?
  3. What is good root stock - maybe the large inedible bloke at my veranda?
  4. Or can I collect a cutting from the root?
  5. Can I transplant the small fig in toto - will it survive such a drastic procedure?
  6. Is it perhaps not worth my while - I mean how long will it take to first fruit? If this is going to take many years then I better go in tandem with a new tree that is almost ready to fruit.
  7. What is a good cultivar for a pot in a small greenhouse?

Sorry so many questions but hopefully someone else is also interested and the experts could help.
I attach a photo of the sweet fig. It was purchased some years ago and if I recall it is a dwarf variety. It has incredibly tasty sweet purple fruit and survived all our winters without a murmur.

1 Like

Figs are rarely grafted onto a rootstock, most of the time they are grown on their own roots. A top-worked tree is an exemption from this rule, but this situation does not happen too often.

If you fig tree is small, it will endure moving to a different location very easily, just do this when the tree is completely dormant and try to keep as much of the root ball as possible. Figs are essentially weeds, they can survive a lot.

If conditions are right (enough sunlight, sufficient water, ok soil), figs grow very fast and start fruiting early. Sometimes fig trees produce fruit first year in the ground.

Thank you. I will wait for midwinter and then move it.