Damage near apple tree graft union

What kind of damage is this and what can I do for it. It’s on B-9 rootstock. Any help is greatly appreciated :pray:

3 Likes

Eyes failing I suppose…what damage?

1 Like

The cracks in the wood where the graft union is. And right above it. Should I seal it up ?

I don’t think I’d seal.
But you might use some pastel color latex paint thinned a little and paint the trunk…to prevent sun scald in cold season.

3 Likes

William, welcome to our growing fruit community. I can see why you ask the question. My Bud9 grafts all look rough with large knots and some similar to yours. I think yours will be okay. In my case borers tend to like making their entry at the graft union and I have started painting that area with a diluted indoor white latex paint. I don’t know if the paint stops or slows down the bores but it is easier for me to see where they enter and I can remove them faster.

3 Likes

I think your graft union is below this, and this is the top of the scion that was grafted to the rootstock. The new growth came up from the bud below the top of the scion and the tree hasn’t had time yet to cover the dead wood at the top. Painting it now could slow or prevent the tree from covering over that dead wood. I would leave it alone, it will cover it over with new growth.

2 Likes

Thanks for all information everyone. Is it better to paint the trees or use some white corrugated plastic pipes to cover the base, so rabbits don’t get to them this winter

Good arguments can be given for either. I typically do neither until I spot a problem. The covering keeps varmints (and weedwhackers) from hurting the bark). Both help with full sun on a day below freezing. Paint may deter insects better.

1 Like