David Fairchild's Pawpaw cultivars

There seems to be vigorous interest in this topic so I’m providing a home for it here. Maybe someone with more time than I can help @ZinHead with his query. Currently I’m very busy digging through Asimina hybrid papers and Spring garden maintenance.

1 Like

Thanks Richard,
However, it’s only claims of plant death at Zimmerman.
And Peterson claims of only (Sweet Alice & Middletown) as the salvaged Zimmerman items of value.
And no information regarding who purchased seedlings & hybrids of Fairchild Asimina Triloba.
I never saw any documented evidence, nor notarized statements.
This is the most informative article I have

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps.
I will try to suppress my OCD passive-aggressive tendencies as we team up to troubleshoot.

In that article, N. Peterson was relying on faulty genomic data.

1 Like

@ZinHead Fairchild would have had his pawpaws at In The Woods in Chevy Chase, MD, not in south Florida. Richard Campbell, as intrepid as the tree climber is, would likely know little about that.

1 Like

From a book called “Plant Inventory”:
ASIMINA TRILOBA (L.) Dunal. ’ Annonaceae.
Papaw. From North Chevy Chase, Md. Seeds col
lected by David Fairchild, Bureau of Plant Industry. Received October 12, 1926.
A large-fruited strain of the papaw, a relative of the tropical Annonas, which is native to the eastern and southern United States. Collected at Doctor Fairchild’s home, “In the Woods."

1920 Statement of Inventory USDA:
51703. ASIMINA TRILOBA (L.) Dunal. Annonacese. Papaw.
From McConnelsville, Ohio. Budwood presented by H. D. Tennent. Received November 26, 1920.
" The largest late sort of which I know and the mildest in flavor when in best condition."
“Fruit large and of excellent quality.” {David Fairchild.)
1926 Statement of Inventory USDA:
ASIMINA TRILOBA (L.) Dunal. Annonaceae.
Papaw. From North Chevy Chase, Md. Seeds collected by David Fairchild, Bureau of Plant Industry. Received October 12, 1926.
A large-fruited strain of the papaw. a relative of the tropical Annonas, which is native to the eastern and southern L’uited States. Collected at Doctor Fairchild’s home, In the Woods."
No reference to the location of the home in the woods where Fairchild was hybridizing Asimina Triloba with multiple annona.
These seeds & bud wood were “Ketter” in 1920.
Sorry, need to find the seed 1920 quote, left it out.
And “Fairchild I” seeds in 1926.
Most likely they dried them, labeled & boxed.
Some day cloning form Asimina Triloba will be possible & they can be accessed & cloned.
There was also an annona from Guatemala similar to a lumpy Asimina Triloba.
It was tropical, kept in Florida of breeding, experienced freeze died back but survived.
Can’t find out what happened to it either.
In the Woods was originally 40 acres.
What is Chevy Chase is less than 34 acres.
And no Triloba are on there reported Inventory.
So what happened to David Fairchild’s Asimina Triloba & hybrids?
It’s like they vanished
This is the vanishing annona from Guatemala

1 Like

Does anybody have any information regarding:

1. Fate of Asimina Triloba 1916 contest winners?
  2. Seeds, Seedlings & scions passed between James A Little & Simms of Portland?
  3. Any details regarding seeds & genetic material from Little or Simms to Ballard of the Maryland Horticulture Research Station?
  4. Any information on genetic material from Simms or Little to the USDA?
  5. Any information on seeds & scions from David Fairchild in 1920 & 1926 to the USDA?
  6. Any information on Fairchild grafts of Ketter or Fairchild Asimina Triloba or it’s annona interspecifics?
  7. Any information on Fairchild seedlings & hybrids that were sold in the years following the 1916 contest?
  8. Any information on the location of the tropical Asimina Triloba look alike with warty fruit skin from Guatemala?
  9. Any information on cabin location of Thomas Marsh aka Uncle Tommy of James A Little’s Uncle Tom Asimina Triloba root sucker?
1 Like