Difficult pruning decision in 4b

This pruning cut has me back and fourth every spring. Looks like maybe to tight of angle. Should I remove it in the spring?. Its an apple and I would be removing over a third of the tree. If i cut it i cant really see a collar, leave 1 inch nub on the bottom side?

3 Likes

You could cut it out or you could tie the whole thing together with rope or chain so it won’t break out.

If cut, leave as little stub as possible while also minimizing the size of the exposed wood.

2 Likes

The angle is good. If this is a dwarf tree I would keep it. If it is a big tree then I would slowly trim it to keep it the size of a branch.

2 Likes

I think the branch angle is including too much bark for comfort. I’d suggest removing the branch entirely. The tree is fairly young, isn’t it? It will fill in space quickly (and then there will be some other problem!)

4 Likes

It is a standard tree. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

This was its fifth year in ground, bigger than the picture makes it look probably 9 to 10ft tall. Kind of where im leaning, its such a hard cut to make though.

2 Likes

It is a hard cut, no doubt about it. But the tree will forgive you and give you lots more problems (see above!) to solve down the road. :slight_smile: But it’s programmed to survive and produce and it will.

3 Likes

Agree with Mark, angle too weak, take it out in early spring so that the wound heals faster and let those other lower branches become your main scaffolds as the have mush stronger angles with central leader.
Dennis
Kent, wa

4 Likes

^^^ concur with the previous two posters. That crotch screams future break. A person can already see where the break will occur when under heavy fruit load.

3 Likes