Disfigured Apple Fruitlet

I did not get around to spraying this red delicious apple tree in time. Is this bug damage? should I remove the fruitlets that look like this. Do you think it is too late to spray? I was going to use Bonide Fruit tree and Plant Guard. Thanks for your help

That looks like rust, that apple wont be edible and will only be releasing rust spores. I would remove the fruit.

1 Like

Thanks. I cut it off and any others that look like it. What should I use to spray for rust.

I am not sure it’s apple rust. The leaves all looks very clean. If it’s CAR, it should affect leaves, too.

Can you take more close up pictures of those disfigured apple fruitlets, please? Also, cut some of them up, too.

Quince rust?

Thanks for your help. See the pictures below

Another picture of one of the apples.
more apples
apples cut up. I do not see any signs of worms.

1 Like

Thanks for looking at this.

1 Like

Check this out. Do you think your apples and their environment fit the description?

https://articles.extension.org/pages/60111/quince-rust-of-apple

Thanks. I really appreciate you providing me this link. It does appear to be Quince Rust. I am concerned because a number of my apple trees can get it. According to the chart Delicious is HS, Gala is HS, JonaGold is S, Winesap is S and Zestar is S. I wonder if I should pull these trees before I have a lot of time invested in them.

Before you think about pulling them, will you consider spraying? If not, then planting rust resistant varieties is your option.

@clarkinks, probably know about quince rust and could offer you suggestion.

1 Like

I’ve never had quince rust but certainly am aware it exists. We do however see rust similar to apple rust but its on pears. The good thing about the rust we see in this area is it does not impact fruit at all only leaves. A fungicide labeled for rust will clear it right up. See this thread Pear Rust

Definitely some PC stings there

Do you hace a way to eliminate the source where the rust comes from? Any host trees or plants you can remove?

Yes, you also have plum curculio attacking your apples.

Thanks. We do have some junipers in the front of our house in a plant bed. What should I use for the PC

PC is tough to kill. I use Surround kaolin spray to protect fruit.

Here is the thread.