Do I let this set fruit?

This is a Pinova (Pinata) on G30 I bench grafted in spring 2016. It’s got good scaffolds and has grown nicely, has lots of blossoms this season, staked well. Should I trim the flowers off, wait another year, or let it do its thing and thing accordingly when I can see fruit load?

1 Like

Personally, I want trees to have a minimum of 3 full growing seasons before I let them fruit.

A G30 generally from what i’ve researched tops out at 18-20 feet tall. It could be some of this variety as well driving its growth pattern, it is 6 foot tall and has a caliper of near 2 inches at the base and a solid '1 up the tree. It gains somewhere around 2/3 feet a year but adds a lot of mass quickly.

Most of the trees I’ve worked with are bigger rootstock like Antonovka, Ranetka, or B118, so I’m not fully used to these more dwarfing stocks but man they gain mass quick. Should this play into my decision of letting it fruit younger with maybe a ‘handful’ of fruits?

1 Like

I have zero experience with any of the G rootstocks, so I’m of no help

I’d let a second year graft on a G=30 have a fruit or two…

1 Like

I figured something on dwarfing rootstock is a different touch then my free standing trees on larger roots. I’m leaning to let 3-4 apples grow on this tree this year and then whatever happens next year let it go.

I graft for the most part on M111 and after two growing seasons most of my trees should be between 5 to 6 feet tall. In 2016 I did about 300 new grafts and at least half of those bloomed this year and I am letting them set some fruit just to verify variety. I have three nursery areas and let the trees have three full growing seasons before planting them in the orchard.

1 Like

Derek, I got a ‘take’ on all the scions I got from you…except for the ‘freebie’ you threw in (Roxbury Russett).
<And that could be because I kept it over 2 months before using the scion.>

1 Like

good to hear except for the Roxbury.

1 Like