Do lemons grow well from seed

Do lemon do good when brown from seed, how long till they produce fruit approx.?

Yes, and five to ten years (the tree flowers at a certain size rather than a certain age).

Many citrus produce nucellar seedlings so there is a good chance that the seedling will be the same variety as the parent. If you want to be certain that your seedling is the same as the parent, you can plant several seeds and get rid of any seedlings that look different from the majority.

2 Likes

That’s quite a lot, if you fertilize them can you knock a few years

I just grabbed some seeds from store bought lemon :joy:

Snowball, Warrington, Halligan & Mullins recommend growing it with a daytime temperature of 30°C and a nighttime temperature of 25°C in order to get the tree to grow the fastest

Well I have warm summers not winters but I’ll put in a warmer setting in the garage maybe.

it’s a lot faster to fruit if you buy a grafted tree because the scion is in the adult phase rather than juvenile.

1 Like

I
Alright is there any cheap suggestions

Madison Citrus Nursery is well regarded.
I don’t mean to stop you from sprouting lemon seeds. It’s fun and you’ll get a plant with beautiful green leaves, it would just probably be a decade before it produced a lemon.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree

If you can get some cuttings to root you will be much better off. I’ve rooted several Meyer lemons and they started bearing at 3 years old.

3 Likes

@Palmy_Oceans

They grow readily from seed. In my experience the seeds produce fruit about 10-20 years later that are inferior. The fruit remind me of trifoliste oranges which are likely their closest relative. Remember most citrus is grafted. Now that I said the bad news I will tell you the good news. As I was in Florida off the beaten path there were times I would run into a wild orange with big fruit.

1 Like

Yes, they grow well from seeds, the least period I got was four years with care and fertilize. a two meter tall tree… the interesting thing is that you will see the thorns get smaller every time until it officially exit the juvenile phase and start flowering.

3 Likes

That’s cool with the orange, it good to know it takes this long I’ll definitely try to see if I can find a cheap grafted tree.

@Palmy_Oceans

They are everywhere in Kissimmee Florida. You can always hit Amazon or eBay if all else fails.

Alright

Store lemons are true to seed. If planted outside in the ground takes approximately 5 years to fruit. In a pot likely never as they don’t get big enough. However meyer lemon is not true to seed. I tasted a meyer lemon seedling that was like a white grapefruit. mandarin. CitrusSeedlings - mrtexascitrus

1 Like

Interesting, I just grabbed two seed from an unknown type of lemon so will see what happens it’ll just be for fun. I’ll buy a lemon to actually have lots fruit the seeds would be to test luck kinda.

@mrtexas

They will be whatever they pollinated with + parent.

99% of citrus can’t be pollinated at all and are 100% true to seed. It is called polyembryony. A very few aren’t true to seed such as pummello, meyer lemon, clementine, lee, tangelos and a few others. I have fruited many seedlings. Latest is sugar belle as it isn’t available in Texas and took 7 years to bear identical fruit. The fruit is like minneola but earlier. Sugar Belle is minneola x clementine. Currently growing out seedless daisy, giant key lime, neopolitan. Just budded giant key lime seedling to citrange rootstock for faster growth to bearing. Seedlings start out very thorny with 3 inch long thorns. When the tree gets big enough it loses the thorns and flowers.

3 Likes