Do summer bearing red raspberries eventually stop producing?

The Josephine raspberry thread triggered this question. Will summer bearing raspberries eventually cease to fruit in quantity? Poking around, I came across a Penn State article: https://extension.psu.edu/red-raspberry-production
Mentioning fruiting winding down after 6-10 years. Has this been folks’ experience here?
I have a row of Tulameen and Wilamette side by side for the last 7 years. The Tulameen is hands down far better than Willamette here in our cool maritime climate, so I’ve been scheming a way to remove the Willamette and replace with another variety. Last years’s production of Tulameen was down quite a bit and whether that’s last year’s conditions or the end of the road for them, I do not yet know. Regardless, do I need to be thinking about eventually starting new raspberry beds?

If I remember right they last about 20 years. Mine are not that old, but from what I am told they start getting diseased and low production near the end. I would bet on yours still having plenty of life left. Trust me. Raspberries do not go down without a fight.

2 Likes

With red raspberries, it is all about root health. The NWREC experimental station out here raises all their raspberries in loose soil; the row soil is about 2 feet wide and is raised 8 inches from the inter-row pathways. Irrigation is by drip.

2 Likes

mine are growing very vigorously in my heavy clay rocky soil and wild ones are everywhere here. as long as there isnt standing water, they will grow. i till in between the rows to control suckers and mulch late spring with 3in of wood chips so that helps with drainage and breathability. with clay i rarely need to water them here. mine are 6 yrs old and still growing strong with no diseases. as long as they stay healthy and produce well , id think they could go on forever.