Does a greenhouse make you happy?

I’m thinking of air pipes buried underground. Something like this:

I guess the biggest expense would be the excavation process.

2 Likes

Not sure if you are organic only, but have you tried Forbid 4F or Forbid 240 SC (specifically for edibles).

I got slammed by spider mites last year even with the use of predatory mites and insecticidal soap. This year I’m going on the offensive and picking some up from the link below. I believe using 4F at half rate is equivalent to 240 SC.

Fair point but those control systems often aren’t cheap, simple or the one of the first things people think of when they start pining for a greenhouse. If you have any weaknesses as a grower, a greenhouse (without strong automated control systems) is more likely to exacerbate them than mitigate them.

There can also be unintended, and un-considered, consequences of growing in an artificial environment. One example, aphids and spidermites aren’t typically a major problem outdoors, because of natural predators, but they can run rampant in a gh. Salts can build up in greenhouse soil from fertilizer use (amd lack of rain). Another–there’s evidence powdery mildew becomes an issue in greenhouses not because of the higher relative humidity, as people have assumed, but because greenhouse plastics shift the wavelength of sunlight to something that benefits the mildew.

Not that any of this can’t be overcome–I guess I’m saying–put as much thought into a greenhouse as @fruitnut did, don’t slap a dream together and expect stuff to grow.

1 Like

I’m not doing it anymore,but a lot of things were tried,from forcing them off with water to different essential oils and chemicals.They were slowed down,but still defoliated and killed a few trees.
Care should be taken with some more powerful things,like Forbid 4F.It does state,that it’s for ornamental use.If I remember,@fruitnut wrote that he applied something that is used for Tomatoes.bb

That’s the only pest or disease issue I have in the GH. Two or three sprays a yr cures that. But you do need to use the highly effective materials that not everyone would approve.

1 Like

That’s a good setup for the right climate. The right climate being sunny and cold winters but not too cold. The area from NE to CO and similar climates are about right. It would work well here in winter since we are warmer. But it’s not adequate here in summer, the soil never cools off enough in winter.

Mine costs about $500 to 2,000 per yr to heat. $500 if you heat to low 30s in winter. $2000 if you heat to 60-65.

1 Like

Do you have a website?

1 Like

No I don’t. All my sales are on figbid.

2 Likes

Spider mites and fungus gnats are the only serious pests I encountered indoors. Spider mites are a pita because they will also stunt new growth on the plant. If you miss a single egg, they come back with a vengeance. Azamax is pretty effective, but there are probably better solutions. It is a different game when people are eating or smoking the plant in question.
Water is a big deterrent for me. It is not legal for some people to collect rainfall, and impractical for many others. Paying by the gallon to water a greenhouse could get pricey.