Does anyone else grow and produce cackle fruit?

Need advice dealing with a mean rooster.
It’s a road island red.
Often when I go out the door he will stand his ground,
And challenge me, I keep a stick by the door now.
Twice I have had to use it to the point , that I though I killed him.
I don’t want to, but… Enough is enough,
He does protect the hens very well.
But often I go out carrying something, and I have to fight that roster !
If we cannot come to a understanding soon ,…
He’s looking like soup !
Any advice is welcome, short of, and including recipes😊

can’t the raccoon get in by climbing up the ramp?

Roosters are a dime a dozen. IMHO a mean one belongs in the pot! Roast him, pick off the meat, simmer the bones in a crock pot with salt, a sliced onion, sliced carrot and stalk of celery with leaves, strain and you have a couple quarts of broth. Add a diced carrot and the cooked meat, simmer until the carrots are done and add a half bag of Kluski noodles. Salt and pepper to taste. Rooster soup!!! :wink:

I would say a smart raccoon could jump the 4ft . distance.
None have.
There are scratch marks on the out side wall . So they have tried to climb in , but could not

I’ve dealt with mean roosters by kicking them across the yard at the first attempt to fight me. Keep in mind that chickens live in a very rigid hierarchy where “position” is critically important to daily life. We can speculate that the rooster views you as an unknown in his hierarchy and is attacking to determine who is the boss. Once he is convinced that he is NOT the boss, he will generally leave you alone.

I will illustrate this with a story from 25 years ago when my son was 7 years old. He was playing outside when the rooster I had at the time attacked and flogged him rather badly. He came to the door crying. I took him straight back out where the rooster promptly attempted to attack him again. I drop kicked the rooster across the yard leaving him stunned. Then I had my son go and kick him 4 more times until the rooster finally got up and ran away. From that point on, the rooster respected my son. This might have had something to do with my son deliberately running at the rooster and kicking at him from time to time to reinforce the lesson. He did not have to actually kick the rooster, just show dominance.

My suggestion is the next 4 or 5 times you go out the door, deliberately run at the rooster and whack him a couple of times until he gets used to the idea that he should stay far away from you. So long as you only whack him when he attacks you, he will continue to challenge because you have not established dominance.

Interesting , I will try that…
But,…
If you don’t hear from me after several days…
You will know who is dominate…
…thanks …( ?):blush:

In regard to the rooster, he belongs in the freezer. Get another one, and if you get a good one ride him until you he dies. I am not totally understanding your coop. Is there a ramp (with the chickens hopping up the ramp, but it is not shown in the pic), or do they simply fly up the 4 ft at dusk. Also, it is a set up that does not protect against horned owls.

Ok…
I am still standing…
Score so far…
Randy( “the rooster” ) …0… ( -1 )
H.h. + 1 (but “some people” . call me Randy "too…)
Just sayin…

@glib
Yes, the ramp is shown in the photo,
It is shown in lower left of photo, pointing toward that upper entrance. Just a 1"x4" board, held up by a small stake.
It is 4ft away from the coop.
They walk up that ramp to the end , and jump/ fly to the entrance .

i agree. i had to do this to several roosters and a male goose. geese do bite hard! :wink:

Randy …( the mean rooster ) update…
Well I took @Fusion_power 's advice.
Chasing him with a bamboo stick ,…
Every chance I got…
I think I was defiantly getting the upper hand…
He was more or less on the run
Seamed to be working.
He would still occasionally stand his ground.
At which point I would wac him with the bamboo,
Sadly, I found him dead yesterday …
Thinking …I just scarred him to death…!
May have been one to many “wac’s” ? !
Anyhow, problem solved…
I did sleep in this morning…
Seamed earily quiet …when I awoke…

one to many times id ‘whack’ him with the .22. :wink:

I doubt you killed him, I’ve smaked them with 5 gallon buckets half full of grain and it never slowed them down. I’m never an advocate for being mean to animals but roosters are a different story. If you don’t get your bluff in they can inflict some serious damage. I finally just got to where I would kill any of them that became aggressive.

Do daily exercise and keeps chickens healthy​:joy::joy:

some of them don’t get it no matter what is done to them.

Turning this discussion into fruit growing, how have you prepared your chicken manure for orchard mulch?

I don’t use fresh chicken manure, but I’m now using some that overwintered and mixed with straw as a top mulch – being careful to keep it a foot away from the tree trunks.

i use it fresh as a mulch but i applied it over last years mulch and kept it away from the trunks. no issues. I’ve done this with other fresh manures also in the past. just composts on the surface.

Welsumers reporting for pest control duty in the orchard.

i thought my brown leghorns were welsummers until their combs started flooping over. their colors are similar. got 4 more sex link chicks and 4 R.I.R to add to my flock. got to get rid of 2 roosters. they’re making the girls a little ragged.

I hatched out some chickens for the grandkids. My grandson wants all roosters because he wants to hear them crow. I haven’t explained the economics of raising chickens to him yet , lol.