Does anyone know what type of persimmon tree this is?

I have 2 of these persimmon trees in my backyard but have no clue what type it is. Tree is about 10’ tall. Leaves look very jade color. We had about 25 fruits earlier this spring before they all dropped except for the one in the photo! Can anyone help me? Thanks!

4 Likes

That looks big! About what size would you say it is?

Was it astringent? Judging by size, I assume they are D. kakis.

Bag is 6x10. Pretty sure it’s non-astringent but it’s totally a guess. Fruit is still hard.

For the measurements, 4” wide 3” tall.

Any ideas?

Do you eat it soft? Or do you eat it hard? Does it taste ok hard?

You say you’re zone 5b, so it’s almost certainly an American or hybrid persimmon, all of which are astringent. However, that size looks more like an Asian persimmon, so I’m all confused.

1 Like

I’m in zone 6b. They are against a northwest facing fence. This is the first year that we’ve had any persimmons that didn’t fall. My dad planted these trees 3 or 4 years ago but doesn’t remember what type they are. Lol my dad will surely only buy Asian persimmons. He thought he planted Jiros but now thinks it’s too big to be a Jiro. Haha

Here’s another photo of the lonely persimmon. Lol

1 Like

reminds me of gimobo persimmon if it is astringent type.

Would taking off the bag and taking another photo help determine the persimmon type?

when its a little soft pick it before the frost and cut in half and take photo and then tell us how it taste.

1 Like

Looks correct for giant Fuyu. They drop all or most fruits until tree is large.

2 Likes